ADVERTISEMENT

OTHER MSU SPORTS Casey Derkacz Joins MSU Women’s Soccer Staff

Kevin Knight

All-Perles
Staff
Nov 8, 2022
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Michigan State head women's soccer coach Jeff Hosler announced the addition of Casey Derkacz (pronounced Dur-kazz) as an assistant coach.

"We are blessed to have someone of Casey's caliber join us, as we continue to elevate this program, and I couldn't be more thrilled," Hosler said. "He brings a wealth of experience but is also an all-around genuine person that understands people and today's athlete."

Derkacz comes to MSU after completing his 10th season at Buffalo, and his sixth year as associate head coach for the Bulls. At Buffalo, his main responsibilities included serving as the primary coach for the field players, recruiting coordinator and prospect camp coordinator.

"I'm thrilled to be able to join such a fantastic program at Michigan State," Derkacz said. "What Jeff, Megan (Link), Gabe (Romo), Tara (Lierman), and these young women have been able to accomplish in such a short period of time has been incredible. Jeff's ambitions for this program have me very eager to contribute to such a talented group and keep MSU competing at the highest level of college soccer. I would really like to thank Jeff and (Assistant Athletic Director) Julee Burgess for having the belief in me to be able to add value to this great program."

He led the Bulls to a historic season in 2022, as the Bulls claimed their second regular-season Mid-American Conference Championship and second-ever MAC Tournament Championship. Buffalo also earned its second-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. Under his guidance, UB recorded 36 goals last season, the most in Derkacz's tenure. The Bulls also set a new program record with a 17-game unbeaten streak and recorded 14 shutouts on the season, tied for the most in program history.

"As an integral part of the Buffalo coaching staff, Coach Derkacz has achieved sustainable championship level success and has helped elevate that program into one of the best mid-majors in our region and beyond," Hosler said. "With experience running many different areas including recruiting, training, video analysis and game prep, he will bring depth and new ideas to our approach."

In Derkacz's 10 seasons in Buffalo, UB qualified for the MAC Tournament in nine-straight seasons. Overall, he coached seven MAC Player of the Year recipients, including three defensive, two offensive, one goalkeeper and one freshman of the year.

Prior to arriving in Buffalo, Derkacz helped lead Slippery Rock to two straight NCAA Tournaments, a Sweet 16 appearance in 2012 and an Elite 8 appearance in 2013. Slippery Rock earned the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Championship in his first season with the team and they won the Atlantic Region title in 2013. Over his two years at Slippery Rock, Derkacz guided The Rock to a 29-10-5 record, while helping them finish the 2013 season ranked No. 6 in the Division II national poll.

During the 2011-12 season, Derkacz helped guide the Penn State Behrend men's and women's teams to NCAA Division III Tournament berths and Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference championships, while receiving a master's in business administration from Penn State Behrend in 2012.

He played collegiately at both Penn State and Buffalo. He graduated from Buffalo in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in business administration with a concentration with finance.

Derkacz and his wife Danielle, both hail from Hamburg, New York.

Reactions: Ryan OBleness
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News