ADVERTISEMENT

Check List to a Bowl Game

schilla1

All-Lorenzo White
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2009
Grand Rapids
Welp, we're a third of the way through the season, and it hasn't gone like many of us hoped or expected. Where do we go from here, and how does it happen?

Safe to say, I think we are very much past the point of needing to lower the gun sights. I thought the team could be capable of 8 wins. Based on what I have seen thus far, I think getting to a bowl game would be a small miracle, but not impossible.

My quick thoughts on what they need to do differently:

1. Get to some sembalance on complimentary football. What do I mean here? The defense is not the strength of this team right now. We are basically rolling out the entire second unit due to injuries. Sans Windmon, I think 4 of the top 5 d-linemen are all hurt right now? On top of the coverage problems, we have to find a way to be more effective on offense, and hold the ball for a minute. Easier said than done, as the second most disappointing thing to me in this losing streak is the run blocking. Looked good against non P5 opponents. Looked really disappointing the last 2. Overall on offense, I think we have good to very good skill talent. But when you can't run the ball, it has put us behind the 8 ball last 2 games.

Jay Johnson is a good coach, I suspect you will see him evolve the offense to set up a short passing game. Short slants, curls, WR screens, dink and dunk the offense to move the ball in small chuncks, and HOLD ONTO IT. Don't abandon the run, but play to your strengths, and set it up with the pass. We can't rely on the defense in the shape that unit is in. The offense needs to be more efficient, productive, and less turnover prone. I'm a big Thorne fan, but if he is going to turn it over like that, we might need to give the younger guys some run. I think he can execute a west coast style attack, and hope he can do it.

2. On defense, I think you just have to try and survive. We have 3 games before the bye; @ MD, OSU, Wisconsin. Somehow, we need to win 1, and get to the bye, where perhaps Henderson and some D linemen can make it back. Simplify the scheme, disguise occasional looks on the backend. I think we could muster enough upfront to still rollout a good run defense, even with all the second stringers playing. I really worry about playing Tua and MD, and while I will be at the Ohio State game, it looks like a blood bath at this point in time. Wisconsin, no picnic, but maybe more manageable. Especially if poor Graham Mertz shows up.

Bigger picture, I am really disappointed with the offensive line and the secondary.

With what was apparently a bare cupboard left by Dantonio for the O-line group, CMT, Coach Kap; that position group is going to need to be completely rebuilt, and that is going to take time. No quick fixes there, at least none that I see now.

Equally disappointed with the secondary, although less so after MN. Fixing coverages busts on the worst pass defense on the country; doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it needed attention, and somehow, it hasn't happened. CMT has worked wonders in the portal, but it hasn't worked for that position group.

Welcome your thoughts, and what needs to happen to squeeze out 4 more wins.

Reactions: b green
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News