ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC: "Hold fare" TAP Portugal airlines/Expedia. Luggage costs. (long post lol)

Spartyteacher

All-Hannah
Oct 31, 2003
I'm very concerned about this apparent fraudulent practice that TAP Portugal airlines is apparently trying to pull off, and I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with such a practice.

So I'm flying to London this Summer for a 3-week bike tour and wanted to buy a 1-way ticket, for maximum flexibility. Wash DC to London. So I go on Expedia and most of the 1-way fares were in the $800 range, but at the top of the listings were 3 TAP Portugal flights for only $213. There was no asterisk or anything by them, but like many/most of the listings, they say that there is a 24-hour cancellation fee (otherwise, you're locked-in/nonrefundable, which is fine, at that price).

I booked it but because it seemed too good to be true, I call the CS at this TAP Portugal airlines. for confirmation. I get this semi-comatose young woman who laboriously goes over all of my confirmation #s, etc. and sure enough, I have the flight BUT.....this is a "hold fare" and I'll owe $700 more dollars for the flight! I told her this is absurd in that the confirmation from Expedia lists nothing of this and if so, this is fraudulent. She sleepily tells me yes, sir, ok sir, that's what it is.

Now I don't know if this dumb chick was assuming it was outside of the 24 hour window (it was only 2 hours later) or is just trying to make mucho profit for her shitty airline. So I call "Eve" at Expedia (why they don't keep their real names is beyond me) and she tells me, no, she confirmed with TAP Portugal and indeed the $213 is the total fare.

Now I'm going to take it in the behind for luggage -$96/bag!- but I'm figuring it's still worth it. Though God only knows what they'll charge me for the bike box.

Anyone ever fly with this crappy airline? What's the baggage fare on reasonable airlines? I normally fly Delta with international flights and travel light so have never noticed. This is the first time I'm doing an international bike tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News