ADVERTISEMENT

MEN'S BASKETBALL Coach Izzo to act as Naismith Hall of Fame presenter for Purdue legend, Gene Keady

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
Based on this tweet from Adam Zagoria, Izzo will present the award along with Jerry Colangelo, who is the current chairman of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

For anyone who doesn't know, Gene Keady was Matt Painter's predecessor in West Lafayette from 1980 to 2005. Keady was extremely successful at Purdue during the regular season, but was notoriously poor in the NCAA Tournament. Ironically, Purdue's last Final Four occurred in 1980, right before Keady took the job.

The event itself will take place on Saturday, August 12, at Symphony Hall in Springfield, Massachusetts. If I understand correctly, Keady was asked to select a previous inductees to the Hall of Fame to make this presentation. Despite the sometimes rocky relationship betwee MSU and Purdue fans, I think that this shows the respect that the coaching staffs have for each other.

In many ways, Purdue and MIchigan State share some common elements. Both schools have had only two coaches for the last 40+ years. I understand that Keady and Jud Heathcote were good friends, so this honor just feels right. Then again, I have degrees from both schools, so I might be a bit biased.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News