ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Dr. G&W's Week Eight Recap (Against All Odds): Wish

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
What a difference a week can make! It is really nice when you have a feeling that you perhaps understand the college football landscape a bit more clearly than others may. I had a gut feeling that the Spartans were poised for a breakout performance. I had a feeling that the extra week of rest, playing at home, and not having to play a team ranked in the top five would be helpful.

But I don't think that anyone was really prepared for how good MSU looked at Saturday night. Iowa is a solid team with a very good defense. MSU outgained them by almost 200 yards, never punted, and only had one turnover.

Even though the Spartans had to settle for seven field goal attempts, they still won by double-digits. Just two months into the Jonathan Smith era, the Spartans are already on the brink of fielding a very competitive Big Ten team.

With the win over Iowa, with Purdue terrible and with Rutgers fading fast, as we will see, the odds for a bowl game had gone up dramatically. The next few weeks will still be tough, but six wins, at least, is now very attainable.

And then there is the Michigan Wolverines. Boy, it is sure a shame was has happened to their season. Based on the reactions on social media, the Maize and Blue faithful have moved into the next phase of grieving and are close to accepting the fact that they just aren't very good... and maybe, just maybe, a little closer to admitting that that little cheating scheme that they used was perhaps a bit more effective than they want to believe.

Nah...who am I kidding? They will never accept that. Honest self-reflection just isn't in their nature.

But we have all week to talk about that.

In the meantime, please enjoy this week's edition of Against All Odds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.