ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Former MSU QB Jim Ninowski has Passed Away

Kevin Thomas

All-Lorenzo White
Silver Member
Mar 8, 2024
Jim Ninowski passed away at the age of 88. In 1957, he led MSU to an 8-1 record and Final No. 3 overall national ranking.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

In my MSU QB rankings, I had him as the 7th-best QB overall in MSU history.

He was, at the time of my original QB rankings in 2019, 3rd in TDs per completion at 1 per 5.8 and 3rd in TDs per attempt at 1 per 11.0

He was 3rd in yards per attempt, 8.7, and 6th in adjusted yards per attempt at 8.0

----------------------------------------------------------------
Ninowski was the starting quarterback in 1957 on a Spartan squad that finished No.3 in the country.

Ninowski was selected as offensive captain of the North team for the Christmas Day North-South Shrine Game played in Miami's Orange Bowl.

Ninowski was the 49th player taken in the 1958 draft by Cleveland and Paul Brown.

Ninowski quarterbacked the College All-Stars to a 35–19 victory over the NFL champion Detroit Lions in the College All-Star Game on August 15 before his Pro Career. But he played little for Cleveland.

Traded to Detroit, Ninowski started 10 of 12 regular-season games for Detroit in 1960 and eight of the Lions' 14 regular-season games in 1961.

Impressed by his progress, Cleveland and Paul Brown reacquired him; Ninowski led the Browns to a 4–3 record in 1962 before his season ended when he suffered a dislocated shoulder and fractured clavicle. He continued to play for the Browns through 1966.

He also played for Washington (backing up Sonny Jurgenson) and the New Orleans Saints (backing up Billy Kilmer) before retiring in 1969.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.