ADVERTISEMENT

OTHER MSU SPORTS Katie Osika Named Big Ten Cross Country Athlete of the Year

Kevin Knight

All-Perles
Staff
Nov 8, 2022

East Lansing, Mich. - Katie Osika was named Big Ten Cross Country Women's Athlete of the Year by the league's coaches, as was announced Monday, Nov. 27, after a second-straight season of finishing with All-American honors and leading MSU to several team accomplishments.

"Being recognized in the conference means so much when your competitors are phenomenal athletes," Osika said. "I'm always proud to represent Michigan State and have had many people here who push me to be my best."

The grad-senior is the sixth woman in Michigan State Cross Country history to be awarded the prestigious distinction and the first since Leah O'Connor in 2014.

"I am so proud of Katie and her development," MSU Director of Cross Country/Track and Field Lisa Breznau said. "She's worked hard and has a consistent approach to everything she does. This is a reminder of the importance our values as a team; consistency and a journey of one mentality within a supportive community."

Osika adds to her collection of awards from the 2023 cross country season alone. The Waterford, Michigan native collected nearly every award possible on the year; Second Team All-American, First Team All-Great Lakes Region, First Team All-Big Ten and both the Big Ten and U.S. Track and Field/Cross Country Coaches Association National Athlete of the Week once.

Despite repeating many of the titles from the season before, Osika still showed improvement on the course in her fifth season with the program. She saw both her 6K and 5K personal best times improve this fall to 20:02.8 and 16:38.3 respectively.

Beyond individual success, Osika proved herself as a leader for what was a historically successful season for Michigan State Women's Cross Country. She was the Spartans lead runner in five of six races she competed in, leading MSU to its 23rd consecutive NCAA Championships appearance where it placed 16th, a regional third place finish, it's best since 2019, and a fourth B1G Championship in five years with Osika in the side.

At the NCAA Championships in Charlottesville, Va. on Nov. 18, Osika culminated her season with a Second Team All-American finish for the second season running. Her 6K PR was good for 30th, the only All-American from the Big Ten, and helped the Spartans to their 14th consecutive finish in the NCAA's top-25.

In the NCAA Great Lakes Regional in Madison, Wis. on Nov. 10, Osika landed on the podium in third guiding the team to third as well, it's best finish since topping the region in Osika's first season of competition in 2019.

At the Big Ten Championships also in Madison on Oct. 27, the veteran placed fourth right behind teammate Veen, helping all her five scoring teammates pace into the top-15 as the Spartans would go back-to-back and successfully defend their conference title while Katie collected her fourth B1G ring.

The regular season headline races, the Nuttycombe Invitational and Virginia Invitational, both saw Osika finish in the top-30 alongside some of the nation's fastest.

Osika kicked off her season with her first career tape-cutting performance, winning on her home course at the Spartan Invitational on MSU's Forest Akers East Course on Sept. 15. The performance earned her both Big Ten and USTFCCCA National Women's Athlete of the Week, the first Spartan to do so since Rachele Schulist on Sept. 9, 2014.

"Cross country did not come naturally to me at first and I'm very proud of the progress I made over the years. This award is the cherry on top to my final cross country season as a Spartan."

Osika and the Spartans will next turn their attention to the indoor track and season, which officially kicks off for select athletes at the Sharon Colyear-Danville Season Opener at Boston University this weekend.

Release courtesy of MSU Athletics.

Reactions: MSU_Hutch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News