ADVERTISEMENT

McShay's Final Mock Draft (thank god)

dimercu9

All-Gibson
Gold Member
Sep 22, 2015
Traverse City, MI
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15416792/todd-mcshay-final-2016-nfl-mock-draft

The 2016 NFL draft is finally here.

I've done five mock drafts up until this point, going as far back as December, and here you have my final projection of all 31 first-round picks. This features several risers and fallers from previous editions, most notably with the No. 3 pick.

Here is my final NFL mock draft for 2016:

1. Los Angeles Rams*
Jared Goff, QB, Cal

The choice here is between Goff and Carson Wentz. Everything I've been hearing since the Rams traded up from No. 15 is that Goff will be the pick. He's not a finished product, but Goff has the high-level work ethic and football IQ you look for in quarterbacks.

Watch Goff's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Titans

2. Philadelphia Eagles*
Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

Wentz comes with great intangibles and is a naturally accurate thrower. Pairing him with QB guru Doug Pederson would aid Wentz's steep learning curve as he transitions from the FCS.

Watch Wentz's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Browns

3. San Diego Chargers

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

This is a good time to remind everyone: I'm projecting what will happen, not what I would do if I ran each team. I'm hearing the Chargers have Stanley higher on their board than Ole Miss' Laremy Tunsil, so the Notre Dame product is the pick. Regardless of whom they take, the Chargers need to find a way to keep QBPhilip Rivers upright.

Watch Stanley's highlights

4. Dallas Cowboys
Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State

This would be a tough decision for the Cowboys between Ramsey and Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott, two immediate difference-makers on opposite sides of the ball. A very physical corner who also can play safety, Ramsey has elite cover skills and rare athleticism.

Watch Ramsey's highlights

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

The Jaguars need a player who can come in and be a difference-maker from day one, and Bosa is that guy. His tape was consistently great throughout his final two seasons at Ohio State, and he plays with a relentlessness that can't be taught.

Watch Bosa's highlights

6. Baltimore Ravens
Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi

This would be a dream scenario for GM Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens, who need a left tackle of the future in the worst way. Tunsil's ceiling is sky high. He has the natural ability to play at a Pro Bowl level for a long time.

Watch Tunsil's highlights

7. San Francisco 49ers
DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

The 49ers are a little tough to figure out. Buckner would fit the best-player-available method of drafting -- at least according to my board. He's a great fit as a 5-technique DE in San Francisco's 3-4 and would bring toughness against the run.

Watch Buckner highlights

8. Cleveland Browns*
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

I've been hearing the Browns are interested in trading back again, and while I can't officially project that here, this pick is based on them making a deal with Miami, who's currently picking at No. 13. Cleveland lacks anything close to a No. 1 WR, and Doctson would help fix that with his terrific ball skills.

Watch Doctson's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Eagles

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

As I've been saying for the past 10 days or so: Floyd is the hottest name in the draft. The last Tampa Bay edge rusher to record double-digit sacks was Simeon Rice in 2005. Floyd has a ton of upside in that area, given his elite first step and freakish athleticism.

Watch Floyd's highlights

10. New York Giants
Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

The Giants do not have a long-term right tackle on the roster. Conklin would solve that problem. A former walk-on, Conklin is a powerful run-blocker who plays with the physical edge needed for a right tackle. Plug-and-play starter.

Watch Conklin's highlights

11. Chicago Bears
Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Lawson, who led the FBS last season with 25.5 tackles for loss, is a highly effective run defender, playing with a good mixture of relentlessness, technique and discipline.

Watch Lawson's highlights

12. New Orleans Saints
Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

I've mocked Rankins to the Saints quite a few times. They need to get stronger and quicker up front, and Rankins' versatile skill set would make an immediate impact in New Orleans.

Watch Rankins' highlights

13. Miami Dolphins*
Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

As I said above, I can't officially project a trade here, but if Elliott slips past Dallas at No. 4, I'm hearing Miami could to move up into the top 10 to snag the RB. The Dolphins have a major need for a three-down back who can start from day one, and Elliott fits the profile. He rushed for 3,699 yards and 41 TDs in his last two seasons at Ohio State.

Watch Elliott highlights | *Acquired in trade with Eagles

14. Oakland Raiders
Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

Hargreaves has the best man-to-man cover skills in this draft, and while his stock has taken a bit of a hit because of his concerning measurables, I still think he can be a good starting outside CB in the NFL.

Watch Hargreaves' highlights

15. Tennessee Titans*
Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

With a boatload of picks from their trade with the Rams, Tennessee could consider moving back into the top 10 to snag one of the draft's top-three offensive tackles. But Decker would be a plug-and-play right tackle option. He's one of the steadier O-lineman you'll study on tape.

Watch Decker's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Rams

16. Detroit Lions
Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA

Jack is falling on some teams' boards because of questions surrounding his knee injury. If healthy, he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft. Jack's athletic skill set would make Detroit better against both the run and pass.

Watch Jack's highlights

17. Atlanta Falcons
Keanu Neal, S, Florida

You'd have to think Atlanta also would consider Ohio State's Darron Lee here if the board fell this way, but Neal would give coach Dan Quinn the most physical player in this class and a safety who comes into the league ready to contribute right away. Neal has the skill set to play the Kam Chancellor role in Quinn's defense.

Watch Neal's highlights

18. Indianapolis Colts
Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

By any means necessary, the Colts need to leave this draft with a more solidified offensive line to protect QB Andrew Luck. Kelly has the frame, quickness and football intelligence to make an immediate impact wherever he ends up.

Watch Kelly's highlights

19. Buffalo Bills
Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

The Bills got gashed against the run last season, allowing 4.4 yards per carry (25th overall). Lee's ability to get sideline to sideline with his incredible athleticism would help in that regard. He also can match up one-on-one in coverage against RBs and TEs.

Watch Lee's highlights

20. New York Jets
Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

The Jets are lacking a natural outside CB to play opposite Darrelle Revis, and Apple fits the bill. He needs to improve his technique in press coverage, but Apple's rare size-speed combo (6-foot-1; 4.40 40) gives him a lot of upside if he's coached properly.

Watch Apple's highlights

21. Washington Redskins
Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

Reed, the most dominant interior run defender in this class, is almost too perfect of a fit for the Redskins. He's a plug-and-play starter at 3-4 nose tackle, which Washington needs in the worst way after allowing 4.8 yards per carry last season (31st in the NFL).

Watch Reed's highlights

22. Houston Texans
Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

The Texans have spent the offseason overhauling their offense, so why stop now? New QB Brock Osweiler could use some more speed at WR opposite of DeAndre Hopkins, and Coleman ran a sub-4.4 40 at his pro day. He has a lot of work to do as a route runner, but he is a highly gifted athlete who has the natural ability to make guys miss in the open field.

Watch Coleman's highlights

23. Minnesota Vikings
Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

The Vikings are set at free safety with Harrison Smith, but he could use a counterpart in the back end who can make plays near the line of scrimmage. Joseph discards blocks well and shows savvy working through traffic. He brings a physical presence to the position.

Watch Joseph's highlights

24. Cincinnati Bengals
Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi

While Treadwell lacks game-breaking speed, he's highly effective on contested throws and jump balls. In Cincy, he would thrive in the short-to-intermediate area playing opposite one of the league's premier deep threats in A.J. Green.

Watch Treadwell's highlights

25. Pittsburgh Steelers
William Jackson III, CB, Houston

The Steelers need to come out of this draft with upgrades at CB after allowing 272 passing yards per game last season (30th overall). Jackson, who led the FBS with 28 pass breakups last season, has the best ball skills of any defensive back in this draft.

Watch Jackson's highlights

26. Seattle Seahawks
Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

Russell Wilson was running for his life far too often last season (45 sacks, tied for third worst). And while Ifedi is really raw, he has the length (36-inch arms), quickness and balance to eventually develop into a quality right tackle.

Watch Ifedi's highlights

27. Green Bay Packers
Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama

The Packers want to move Clay Matthews back to outside linebacker, and drafting a player like Ragland -- who is one of the most pro-ready prospects in this class -- would be a solution there. He'd be a steal at No. 27, too.

Watch Ragland's highlights

28. Kansas City Chiefs
Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech

Butler has flashes of Muhammad Wilkerson in his game. He's a dominant run defender who wins with good quickness for his size, but his production never quite matched his ability as a pass-rusher.

Watch Butler's highlights

29. Arizona Cardinals
Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida

Bullard has experience playing both inside and outside, so he brings a lot of versatility to the table. He doesn't have elite physical tools, but he's a grinder.

Watch Bullard's highlights

30. Carolina Panthers
Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Dodd comes with some risk because he really put together only one solid year of film. His athletic limitations are also a concern, but on tape, he shows a good first step coming off the edge.

Watch Dodd's highlights

31. Denver Broncos
Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

Henry has natural ball skills and the athleticism to stretch the defense down the seam. He uses his frame well to shield defenders from the ball in contested-catch situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.