ADVERTISEMENT

Miami, Texas A&M, Auburn, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Baylor, and Florida (Context of MSU)

sunbro18

All-Bubba Smith
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2009
This is not meant to be a post saying 5-7 is okay. I just thought it was interesting about the struggles of all of these programs, many of whom we are competing with on the recruiting trail and are coming off of relatively strong years last year like us. I'd be willing to be none of these teams had close to as many missing players (injuries/suspensions) as we did. That doesn't make 5-7 okay, but it does at least give some context that there are down cycle years and things can change for the better or worse very quickly.

Miami: 5-7
Auburn: 5-7
Texas A&M: 5-7
Florida: 6-6
Oklahoma: 6-6
Baylor: 6-6
Wisconsin: 6-6

If looking at it the other way around, look at the drastic changes that happened the past couple of years in the other direction....

UM went from garbage to CFP last year (and have kept that momentum obviously).
USC is on track for the CFP this year potentially after last year going 4-8.
The Vols went from 7-6 to 10-2.
MSU went from 2-5 to 11-2 last year.
LSU went from 6-7 to 9-3 so far this year.

All of these turnarounds came from major head coaching changes (USC, LSU), coordinator changes (UM 21'), and/or a high impact portal player (UT, USC, MSU 21') Things can change for the better or worse quickly. I'd like to think had we been healthier and more stable without a tunnel incident, we would not be a 5-7 team. Doesn't matter now as 5-7 is what we are.

Thinking ahead to next year, I'd like to think we'll benefit from better health, no suspensions/drama, and a more favorable schedule than what transpired this year. That alone should be good for more wins with the projected roster even if nothing else changed on the coaching staff or in the portal for new impact players. If we actually do make some staff changes or secure a high level portal player, things can go up VERY quickly. I'm going to hold onto that hope. We just need to shift all the pent up frustration of the past couple of months and channel it into bold, but well thought out moves by our CEO.

Until then, I'm pumped for basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News