ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Michigan State opens 2024 fall camp with Jonathan Smith at the helm

Ryan OBleness

All-George Webster
Staff
Oct 24, 2022
The 2024 football season is now upon us. Michigan State head coach Jonathan Smith and the Spartans opened preseason camp on Tuesday, which marked the first time Smith was at the helm of the program for fall camp practices.

After going through spring practices, and leading the Spartans through a busy offseason that included many departures and additions to the roster, Smith got a chance to see his full 2024 squad on the practice field for the first time.

Smith liked what he saw from his team on day one of fall camp, but he knows it is just the beginning.

"Great to get started, day one," Smith said. "(It was) as expected, but good energy. The guys were flying around pretty good. Obviously, we're just in some helmets and spiders, but I was really pleased with what it looked like today.

“I thought it was crisp. You could tell we went through spring ball and they had a good summer. A lot of guys got bigger, faster and stronger, more comfortable in the scheme, and I thought that showed up in day one.”

More here:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.