ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Michigan State's Harlon Barnett: 'We have a team of competitors'

Ryan OBleness

All-George Webster
Staff
Oct 24, 2022
Michigan State has now dropped two games in a row. The Spartans lost to Maryland by a final score of 31-9 on Saturday.

Turnovers, penalties and miscues cost the Spartans against the Terrapins, and Maryland was able to walk away with a convincing victory.

MSU had five turnovers (three interceptions and two fumbles lost) in front of the homecoming crowd at Spartan Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Acting head coach Harlon Barnett continues to preach discipline, and hopes the Spartans are able to find it soon.

"Eleven penalties last week, six this week," Barnett said. "That's better, but not what we want. You can't play in this league, any team in this league, and have that many penalties and turnovers. The turnovers got us also. From my understanding, we led in yards and time of possession, and all that kind of stuff, but those are just stats that obviously don't mean as much as the turnovers and the penalties.

"I said 'discipline' is gonna be the word for the rest of year, I said that earlier this week, and we're going to continue to talk about it and preach it and push it. Eventually, we're gonna get it, and you're going to see the results very, very soon."

More postgame quotes here:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.