ADVERTISEMENT

My take on the current situation

PJ99

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
Let me start by saying I'm in my late 40s and started following Michigan State over 30 years ago. We've obviously had some difficult years, but we've also been lucky enough to enjoy some excellent seasons. Most college football fans would like the results we've seen over that time period. Ok, enough on that.

I was trying to fall asleep last night and couldn't stop thinking about all that is happening with the football team. Obviously, just like everyone else, I'm disappointed in the way the season is unfolding. I was hoping for some progress from the starters and more cohesion from the defense. I didn't play much football in high school, so I don't have a bunch of in depth football knowledge to reference. CMT seems like a coach with a breadth of experience on top programs with a great vision for Michigan State football. That vision is resonating with the quality of recruits required for us to challenge the big boys nationally. Some of the biggest recruitments are still not going our way yet. Some are because our competition is paying more in NIL than we are willing to pay. However, being one of the finalists for top players should lead to better recruits considering Michigan State going forward and leading to more high quality commitments. All that being said, we don't have the players right now to compete at the highest level. Depth at Michigan State has always been an issue. The starters usually can compete within the conference, but when starters go down, the dropoff has always been significant.

Ok, the actual main point of this is the current play. The offensive line is full of players who don't fit the mold wanted by CMT. His recruited OL are underclassmen right now. In the next 2-4 years, the OL should improve as we win more recruiting battles (2023 is a good example) and the players CMT has recruited grow into men. There is no significant issue with the skill positions on offense. There could be improvements, but they can play winning football. We have missed J Reed in the Wash, Minn and Maryland games, but that wouldn't change the outcome of those games. I believe Thorne is regressing because he is afraid to make mistakes and has been getting a lot of pressure. Tight end play has not been up to par. They are what they are, but they all have things they should be doing better. Is this coaching or is it "want to" or ability? IDK?

Ok, defense is obviously the main focus for everyone. We don't have much/any NFL talent on defense at this point. This has never been the case, but it is now. We don't have any corners (Brantley may be the exception) can cover receivers one on one. I don't think this is coaching. I think this is ability. What this leads to is having to play zone more to limit big plays. The communication in the secondary is not good either. We really miss X being out and making sure everyone knows what they should be doing. Many of these breakdowns are caused by players forced into action when they shouldn't be playing (or playing in a position they have limited experience). This is due to injuries as well as poor play. Tom Izzo always uses playing time as his lever to require a certain level of play. When using that lever, you have to play someone who is not as ready to contribute as the starter. Catch 22 situation as CMT needed to hold players accountable for their play since the Wash game. You have to be able to hold players accountable, but the next guy up is not performing. We complain when DBs are dropping and giving a huge cushion for receivers and an easy pitch and catch. Then, the coaches try to do something "exotic" (Comp's word) and the players are not on the same page and we have long TDs. Pick your poison. The DBs can't cover anyone one on one and they can't disguise things to confuse experienced quarterbacks. Is that coaching or ability? I think that's more ability, but maybe I'm wrong. All this would be easier with a pass rush, right? Well, the guys which require double teams haven't played much or at all recently due to injuries. That means the DEs and linebackers are blocked. LBs are not great, but they can't shoot gaps if there are no gaps. DEs can't win their matchup if they're getting blocked and chipped. Break it all down and I'm willing to see how things unfold over the next couple seasons. There is no quit on this team. Teams that quit don't get goal line or 4th down stops when getting their ass whooped. As long as the team is giving it all they have, I'm going to support them and CMT.

Sorry for the long post. I know I wouldn't read anyone's long post like this.

</rant>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News