ADVERTISEMENT

National Recruiting v. 4-Hour Radius

DesertGreen

All-'52 Pony Backfield
Aug 17, 2001
Cave Creek, AZ
I used to be a fan of that four-hour radius strategy. And it worked really well for CMD. But three big factors have changed my mind and have me a fan of the broader, national approach:

1) The MSU brand is REALLY strong, outside of the state of Michigan. MUCH stronger than it is within Michigan. (Not population of supporters, but brand perception.)
  • When you meet folks outside of Michigan and they hear Michigan State, they are impressed. It's a big positive. They talk about Izzo of course, but they also talk about football success the uniforms, the colors, etc. I get a lot of "Yeah, I just really like Michigan State." And they certainly have a sense of the hate between MSU and UM, but they don't have an opinion that UM is somehow superior.

2) Population growth in the south, southwest and west.
  • It's just undeniable that population growth in those regions of the country continues to outpace the midwest, by a huge margin. And over the years, it won't be just about growth rate, it's just simply that the population numbers (and thus talent numbers) are going to far exceed what the midwest can provide.
  • So, you just have to go broader, to get access to the sheer volume of talent.
3) Staff connections and ties.
  • This staff has great connections in places (e.g Georgia) where it would just be foolish not to go. Florida used to be great to MSU. Then it wasn't. I like that CMT is leveraging their strengths and with the focus and TIME they place on recruiting, I don't think they will get spread too thin to be effective.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.