ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where does the NFL go from here?

MVsparty

All-Gibson
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2003
Think about the last week: 4 "relatively" healthy players under 30 decide to retire. All of them were under different circumstances, but the four players made the choice to walk away.

How do you categorize these events?
1. the history of a violent sport, coming to a head with damning medical evidence, is now a real crisis for the NFL and the players are willing to forsake it for their health.
2. a few common events/conclusions that randomly happened within one week of each other.
3. the opening wave of more self-aware players who choose health over finances, where we'll see these types of decisions happen on a yearly basis.
4. the NFL is in trouble.

Personally, I see all of these statements being true. And I think it will change the way the game is viewed by the casual fan. And for someone who used to religiously watch games 5 years ago, that doesn't bother me too much. I think the league is out of touch with the casual fan now. Too much $$. Too violent on the field. Too violent off the field. A bit like an video game unfortunately, that I don't relate to anymore...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.