ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Something must be done about horrific favoritism by Big Ten Officiating ( sorry long)

truegreen

All-Bubba Smith
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2004
Week after week after week, I see the constant bad and/or missed calls in favor of the Big Ten Schools not named Michigan or Ohio State. It’s so bad now, this favoritism is not only killing drives, allowing other drives to continue, or having an impact on the game, it is determining the outcome of the game by making the wrong call.

The last 2 victories by those skunks in Ann Arbor probably don’t happen without significant favoritism by the officials. Even a storied program like USC saw it first hand in their loss to the skunks two weeks ago. Forget the fact that it’s very curious that the skunks were not called for offensive holding the entire game, but that last game winning TD was aided by a blatant hold creating the hole that the skunk RB ran through. If you are watching the RB with the ball, how do you miss that holding call?? Then you have this recent horrendous wrong offsides call on Minnesota onside kick recovery, which definitely had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. Minnesota most likely wins that game if that wrong call is not made. I could go on and on and on, but most get my point.

Something needs to be done, but going to the Big Tens ( OSU and skunk loving) AD will not result in any changes. There needs to be some type of system put in place when official’s continue to make terrible calls, they are put on some form of probation or even terminated. This will weed out the bad actors, or at least make them think twice before making these blatantly obvious wrong calls. Another option is to give each team two challenges a game to question penalties. Just think if Jonathon Smith had the option to challenge the no call on the face mask tackle that caused the Chiles fumble in the red zone in last nights game against OSU. Instead of giving up the ball in a 10 point game, MSU has first and goal inside the 10.

I indicated earlier that the two favored programs are OSU and the skunks. But when it comes down to these two, even OSU has to deal with the skunk love fest. Skunks very likely don’t get through OSU last season ( and don’t get the NC)
if the officials make the right call on an OSU interception in the end zone that would have killed a skunk drive that was awarded the TD on that play.

Something needs to be done before this totally ruins the game many of us love so much.

Sorry for the long rant, but this has gotten so bad, I felt I had to speak my piece.

Go Green!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.