ADVERTISEMENT

They Call Me Magic.

Saguaro Spartan

All-Perles
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I just got around to watching this Apple TV documentary. It's amazing the access the film maker got to Earvin, his family and friends, teammates, and opponents. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama even weigh in.

(This is not the crap HBO dramatization of Magic and the Lakers,)

Lots of Lansing and MSU material. Interviews with Lansing Everett Coach George Fox, Tim Staudt, Fred Stabley, Jr., Earvin's mom and brothers, and Greg Kelser. Cookie Johnson has a much screen time as anyone, starting with how she met Earvin at Dooley's. She comes across as a wonderful person and interviews with her three MSU best friends further flesh out her complicated relationship with Earvin.

And of course, the rivalry with Larry Bird, his close friendship with Jerry Buss (interviews with Jeanie Buss), and the Lakers years. I can't think of anyone that I would like to have seen interviewed that wasn't. They talked to Kareem, Jerry West, and Pat Riley extensively, and to all of Magic's teammates. They had lengthy segments with Isiah Thomas and Michael Jordan.

And then the HIV story. Earvin was very forthright as was Cookie concerning the strain on their relationship. They even interviewed Magic's doctors, and the Lakers' trainer and publicist. I had never heard the whole story before.

Then the Dream Team at the 92 Olympics.

Tonight I will watch episode four, which focuses on Earvin the entrepreneur.

Highly recommended. And I'm so glad that I didn't watch that trash HBO series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.