ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on team, recruiting, and team culture

spartansd

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2021
So as most on here I am pretty bummed by how the season has progressed. I am not totally shocked as the depth on this team was very thin going into the season so a few key injuries and it is not surprising how things have unraveled. But what I find even more interesting is that the recruiting does not seem to be falling off yet. That the team seems to still be working hard and recruits are not openly jumping ship. Which made me think about how there was a comment by I think Comp that kind of hinted at CMT telling his coaches that recruiting needed to be #1 priority over even coaching to some extent. And I was think at first that sounds insane until I asked myself why he would say that unless he has an overall strategy or play sheet he is working. And I have somewhat of a theory. Which if I think about it might explain some other things I see in college football.

1- We know that the key to getting players better is competition. This is 100% irrefutable. Dan Gable won the B10 ever year he coached in the B10 and someone asked him how he did it. He said the only thing he knew to do was to let it be know that his goal was to bring in a recruit better than his starter. And that the competition drove the quality of play.
2- Based on the above I believe that CMT believes in that theory 100%. And that is why his main focus is recruiting. Because he knows if a player knows that he is competing every single day to get snaps he will push himself much farther than if he is getting pushed by a coach.
3- That this theory is why he is so focused on recruiting and seems to not be deterred by the current state of things. Because he has seen this work at Georgia and Alabama.
4- I think that this style idea is why Bama hires so many analysis. Because the position coaches and coordinators are so busy recruiting that the analysis are the ones doing a lot of the film breakdown and strategy discussions to take some of that work off the coaches. Because well they need to recruit.
5- I also think that this pursuit of competition and team culture is why the recruits are still interested. He is selling what it takes and the results will follow.
6- I also think that todays recruits are looking for a path into the NFL even more than winning. You show you can put players into the NFL and you are going to get players interested.

I also 100% believe that he as one of the few African-American HC in college football is getting longer looks from players of that ethnic background because they and their parents like the idea of their sons learning about leadership from someone who looks like them. I know I liked sending my daughter to Saint Mary's of Notre Dame because the place is run by only women at every level. And I wanted her to see that women can lead and be in charge. And it has made a difference in how she views herself and her approach to problem resolution.

Now I could be way off but the above idea is also why I think SCum is so successful even though I think Hairball is a questionable HC. He stockpiles talented players and lets them compete and he puts kids into the NFL.

This is all why I am not concerned about the losing right now. I think there is a long game that CMT is playing and it literally will take at least 2-3 more years before the play on the field will represent what he is trying to accomplish. He is trying to build a program that relies on depth of talent to push the players to perform on the field. And that will require 3+ good recruiting classes to fix. This 2023 class is the first class he is bringing in that looks like what he needs to create the culture that I am guessing he wants to build.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.