ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing how Iowa keeps cranking out NFL talent

eric2015

All-Hannah
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2002
I've been fixated lately on past recruitng rankings and players sent to the NFL. Not sure why. Bored, I guess. The season can't get here fast enough.

Anyway, as I pointed out a few days ago, OSU is BY FAR the top producer of NFL draft picks in the Big Ten. Since 2002, OSU has had an average recruiting class ranking of 11, and over that time frame, it has produced 84 NFL draft picks, including 39 in the first three rounds and 16 first round picks. Unfortunately, the drop off from OSU to the rest of the Big Ten is rather large, to put it mildly.

I thought Wisconsin was number two on the list, but actually, two are tied at 55 NFL picks. Wisconsin AND Iowa. Wisconsin's average recruiting class was ranked 45.5. Iowa's average recruiting rank was 43.9. Iowa actually has the 2nd most picks in the first three rounds at 25. The Hawkeyes did lag Wisconsin in first round picks by a couple.

The next three in the conference were Nebraska (average class rating of 27.5 and 53 draft picks), um (average class rating of 14, with 51 draft picks) and PSU (average class rating of 30.3 and 50 draft picks).

The group after that is MSU (31.8 average class rating and 37 draft picks), Maryland (35.1 average class rank and 31 NFL draft picks) and Illlinois (46.9 average class rank and 30 NFL draft picks).

The amazing thing about Iowa, unlike Nebraska and MSU, is their recruiting classes have been consistent from 2002 to 2016. Almost always ranked in the 30's, 40's or 50's. Also, Iowa consistently sends players to the NFL. Not much difference today from the early 2000's when they had a nice run of 10+ win seasons. Nebraska's recruiting has seem to fall off since joining the Big Ten. From 2008 to 2013, the Huskers had nothing but top 25 classes. Now, the Nebraska classes have falling in the 30's. MSU's classes have been picking up since Dantonio was hire.

I know I've been guilty of picking on the Big Ten West's lack of talent, generally based on recruiting rankings, but the fact of the matter is, after OSU, the three teams with the most NFL talent have been Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska. All West Division teams.

Reactions: spartan9727
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News