ADVERTISEMENT

Coach D's Return

Yakispartan

All-Bubba Smith
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2010
Most of us would agree Coach D looked tired when he "retired" from MSU FB. He brought Spartan FB back to glory. He whooped up on the piss-rats in AA more than they gave us. No doubt, my favorite coach. Toughness, discipline, Will, love of MSU, quality players. Kirk Cousin types mostly.

Coach D left to be back with his beloved family. He had missed important years with Becky and the girls. Grandkids. He needed family time.

My son and I went to Columbus, OH in March '23 to watch our Spartan BBALL team defeat USC and Marquette in the NCAA Tourney. I sat next to a MSU administrator on the inbound flight to Columbus out of Denver. We spoke about our love of MSU, etc. I told her my son was a mini Joey Hauser. She told me I should take my son to the Spartan prefunction at the team hotel. My son and I went.

We saw the Spartan band, cheerleaders, Coach Izzo and the team come out of the elevators and go through the lobby to the bus. My 15 year old son loved it. I did too.

Out of the elevators comes a smiling Coach D. He had been with Izzo and his team before the first game. He was mixing with fans and was a happy camper. He is Green and White through and through seemed thoroughly happy to be there. Full of energy.

As he walks past me about 4ft away, I of course say "Hi Coach D". He looks at me with what I can only characterize as a scowl and look as if to say "who the hell are you to call me Coach D?"

Well, I don't know how tall he is, but he looked up at me (I'm 6'5" 270lbs) and quite literally put the fear of God into me. (I may have even tinkled a bit).

The man is full of all the Spartan piss and vinegar to carry us through this mess. God love him. He's still my favorite coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News