ADVERTISEMENT

MEN'S BASKETBALL Could Rocket return?

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
I have been thinking about this over the last few days, and I thought I would see what the group thinks. Note: this is all pure speculation on my part.

As things stand now, MSU has two open slots for next year. One slot might be saved for Bates when/if he reclassifies and if he decides to come to EL. The other slot needs to be filled, and I am of the opinion that MSU needs a wing to fill that spot. So, what if it turns out that the best player left on the transfer board is... Rocket Watts?

A lot of things have changed since Rocket announced his entry into the portal. Right now, everything seems oddly quiet. MSU does not seem to be hotly pursuing anyone and Rocket does not seem to be close to committing somewhere else. Note that I have ZERO inside information on this, so it is more of a feeling... but the thought did occur to me. Granted, there are probably a LOT of discussions going on behind the scenes, but at least from the outside, things seem to have stagnated.

If this situation, Rocket would primarily be an off guard and could start along side Brown on the wing. MSU will have 3 PGs, and the three (or four if Bates comes...) wings would not need to start right away. If Bates does come, this gets more complicated, but that is a problem that I would love to have. Also, if I recall, Bates is very close with Brown, but also Rocket, to some extent. I could see the argument of the three of them "getting the band back together" to be the primary three wings.

Here is another thought: both Keon Coleman and now Maliq Carr committed to the football team and both want to play basketball... even though there really isn't anything more that a practice squad spot for either of them. BUT, if there was word on the street that a generational talent was going to be playing in East Lansing, it might be a draw for some kids to want to just practice against him.

Yes, this is a ton of speculation, but it occurred to me, so I wondered if anyone else had the same thought(s).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News