ADVERTISEMENT

MEN'S BASKETBALL Dr. G&W Basketball Odds Update: Breaking Bad

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
Sometimes when things are not going well, I dip into the humor a little more to cope with the annoyance that I have with the team. I have been binging Breaking Bad with my girlfriend over the last few weeks (almost through Season Three), and I thought that analogy would be fun. I wanted to make a joke about Izzo needing to take the team on a vision quest in an RV in the New Mexico desert, but that seemed like a bridge too far.

The basic summary is that MSU is trending hard to the No. 6 seed in the Big Ten Tournament. The odds are 50% No. 6 seed and 50% something else (No. 3 to No. 10). The most likely outcome is that MSU is the No. 5 seed if they win out and they drop one seed for every loss.

As for the NCAA Tournament, MSU is still OK now, but assumes that they will rebound and start playing to at least an average level of their play so far this year. The two back-to-back home loses to BAD teams is enough to give me pause that they are simply in a death spiral. In that case, the streak is in jeopardy. Coach Izzo has had a lot of time with the team over the past two weeks. He has worked magic in the past. In fact, one could argue that he USUALLY works magic at this time of the year. So, it is OK to think that the team will rebound. History says that is the most likely result. But my confidence is rocked.

That all said, the best case scenario looks like a No. 8/9 seed for the NCAA Tournament. Unless MSU upsets Purdue, it will be hard to get above that seed line. In that case, is it actually better to shoot for the No. 10 or No. 11 seed? I hate to say it, but that gives this team a better chance to have a run (which is still very possible).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News