ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Here's the latest updates on the MSU football coaching search

DavidHarns

All-Van Pelt
Staff
Oct 29, 2013
After talking to multiple sources today, I have a few updates on the coaching search.

The trustees asked Alan Haller for a briefing today on their bi-weekly zoom meeting. They wanted an update from him on the coaching search and wanted to give him an update on the presidential search.

Apparently, the presidential search is down to two finalists (from the North Carolina area and the Texas area). They are trying to at least "get a president named" in the next 3-4 weeks so that the incoming coach knows who it is amd knows what situation they're coming into. I'm not exactly sure what that means. This seems like a difficult task to me, but the word is that the two candidates are currently reverse-vetting MSU. Those with knowledge of the situation are leaning towards the NC one.

Regarding the football coach search, the initial conversations have moved up to $6-7 million per year in order to bring the right candidates to the table.

The board is not trying to make the hire. They know they aren't qualified to do so.

"As long as you don't bring us Urban Meyer."

Yes, that was actually said. Not sure the tone with which it was said.

Alan Haller and Jen Smith are the main two who are working on this. Haller also reached out to Kirk Cousins and Mark Dantonio and consulted with them.

The coaching search started with regional coaches connected to Michigan State/Midwest and expanded from there to make sure MSU has enough qualified candidates to choose from.

I was able to confirm again that no interviews have occurred yet.

During this briefing, it was mentioned that 'when the candidates during the Tucker search were disclosed to the board, they were leaked.' MSU is looking to avoid that this time. The board is OK with that.

Also, in case you hadn't seen it earlier, we at Rivals are able to confirm MSU's interest in at least talking with Toledo's Jason Candle; we can also add Harlon Barnett to the list of those being interviewed (that's a formality, though - you simply have to interview the interim coach). Add these two to the four we already determined were being targeted - Leipold, Smith, Clawson, Dickert -- and we're at six. We also believe that there are another 3-4 that we haven't been able to confirm yet. Still working on that aspect.

Interviews will start occurring over the next two weeks. The next several weeks are going to be pretty intense around here. We'll keep you posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News