ADVERTISEMENT

Justifying our collective insanity

haslett3

All-Mason
Jan 15, 2007
I don't know about you all, but Thanksgiving weekend was the perfect justification for my fanatic following of MSU. I would like to consider myself a rational person, but my feelings after a loss in either sport are far from rational. However, this weekend showed me why wins/losses matter so much in my personal life. I will walk you through my weekend, and I bet many of you find yourself in similar situations throughout your life.

------

Thursday

My wife and I head down to Niles, Michigan to spend time with my dad's side of the family. There were about 20 people at my aunt's house. The family is pretty evenly divided between MSU and UM. What are the primary topics of conversation? The damn tunnel and our terrible season. As a result, I have to do my best to represent MSU while also trying to have fun. I let loose with some irrational takes on this board from time-to-time, but personally I always feel like I am a damn PR person for our school outside of this message board. It doesn't help that I also work at MSU.

In any event, I am asked no less than 4 times about what I think about all of this stuff. What a drag while I am trying to enjoy good food and better wine.

Friday/Saturday

We see my in-laws at Higgins Lake. Spartans through and through, but they aren't as tuned into this stuff as I am. As a result, I have to re-hash this stuff for the second day in a row. Watching the Penn State game was also excruciating but that's almost besides the point.

Sunday

We head to Saginaw to spend time with more of my wife's extended family. Mostly Spartans, but there are a few UM fans sprinkled in and...guess what...it's tunnel gate all over! I loved defending Tucker all day despite everything that has transpired over the season. Sigh.

------

As you can see, my entire weekend was wrapped up in MSU's failures. This probably feels like a "woe is me" post, but it is not. I am trying to help you all explain rationally to your significant others that these wins and losses impact your lives far more than meets the eye. I haven't even mentioned the impact of group texts and the constant defense of everything MSU that I experience with my OSU buddies (I am from Toledo, Ohio).

After this weekend, I am exhausted. Anyway, I love you all, and the next time you get really upset when we lose, know that it isn't just a damn game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News