ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Lots of Urban Meyer smoke - is there fire?

DavidHarns

All-Van Pelt
Staff
Oct 29, 2013
Along with the rest of you, I'm sure, I've been paying really close attention to the Urban Meyer rumors out there. I've talked to several sources on the topic today and have a brief update for you all.

It's truly difficult for me to tell what to believe here. Sources at Michigan State are VERY tight lipped right now and not much info is making it's way out. Sources on the Urban Meyer side of the equation are getting info out there. I've listened to Comparoni, Spiro, and Robinson today and I was on the air with Ebling last night. And I've tried to square what they are all saying with what I'm hearing.

The most pressing issue that I can add value to the conversation is regarding rumors that the BOT is currently reviewing a contract or terms sheet to hire Urban Meyer as coach. Good sources close to the BOT tell me that they have not been briefed on Urban Meyer and are not reviewing anything. My sources can't say definitively that none of the board members are individually talking to donors etc but that, as a group, this is not occurring.

In fact, the BOT was supposed to tour Henry Ford together on Monday and not even half of them showed up. They are completely dysfunctional right now. They have an every other week informational call on Fridays - the next one isn't for 9 days. I don't see the members of the board getting themselves in a position to review a term sheet or even a contract.

My sources still confirm that Alan Haller has complete autonomy to make this decision and is not being throttled by the interim president or the BOT. I've also confirmed that the donors are not improperly pressuring MSU's administration but rather are making it known that they are there to help. It appears that everyone is staying in their lane. Which is a welcome change around these parts.

As I've said before, I don't believe that AH is interested in navigating the campus political pressure that would come with hiring Meyer. That's not to say that he won't. It's just to say that AH has been very steadfast in his commitment to his coaching search process and I don't see him moving away from that here. He has told me in the past that he always has to have hypotheticals playing out in his head at all times. That makes me think that he has game planned this out in his head before it became reality. He knows who he is looking for.

I'll say that this has been unusual for MSU - AH and his tight tight circle have to have been talking to agents/candidates by now and - despite every journalist in mid-Michigan doing their best to get someone to tell us something - the info has stay secure.

Some people speculate that this means Meyer is going to be hired and this is MSU getting ready for this. From what I've heard, I don't think that is the case. These sorts of announcements/introductions typically take a lot of prep and planning. It is my understanding that those who are aware of the timing of a possible football coach announcement are still planning on the after Thanksgiving time frame. Take that for what you will.

So, yes, I see the Urban Meyer smoke - but for the life of me I can't find the fire.

Questions? I'll try to answer them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News