ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State offensive coordinator

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I'm hearing from a good source that Jay Johnson will be coming to Michigan State to be Mel Tucker's offensive coordinator.

I posted this likelihood yesterday. Now I'm hearing that this will be the case.

My source knows a little bit about Jay Johnson and says he's well-respected in coaching ranks and did a really good job as an analyst at Georgia.

Offensive Coordinator: Jay Johnson, turning 50 this year.

He was one of the first two coaches hired by Tucker at Colorado last year.

Previously, he was an offensive analyst for Kirby Smart at Georgia. According to his bio, he assisted in all off-field phases of game planning and recruiting at Georgia.

[Being an analyst for an elite program isn't a bad gig. Consider that Butch Jones, Mike Stoops, Major Applewhite and Mike Locksley are or were analysts for Nick Saban lately. They aren't officially high-paying gigs, but are good landing spots for guys with existing contracts elsewhere.]

Prior to being an analyst at Georgia, he was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for Tracy Claeys at Minnesota in 2016. That team went 9-4 before Claeys was fired due to an off-field scandal.

Prior to that, he was offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Louisiana Lafayette from 2011-15.

In 2010, he was quarterbacks coach at Central Michigan. CMU was No. 17 in the nation in passing offense that year when Dan Enos was in his first year.

He is a native of Minnesota who attended Northern Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News