ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Radio Broadcast (Blaha)

sas51

All-Van Pelt
Jul 18, 2001
Let me first say that George Blaha is an absolute legend and I have a TON of respect for him.

That said, the current MSU radio broadcast is the worst I have ever heard. I was scouting the UF v So.Carolina game yesterday and was listening to the MSU broadcast on my way to Gainesville. I haven't listened to George in years as I watch all the games on TV.

It was an absolutely painful experience. He is at least 5-8 seconds behind on each play and you can tell more from the crowd noise in the background how the play went than from George's actual call. He basically starts every play with "the snap-back to Thorne" and he'll say a "handoff" or "looking to throw" and then a 2-3 second delay before he actually says what is happening. Meanwhile, Strayhorn is "in the background" moaning, cheering or making some other inaudible noise.

He almost never says how many yards were gained or you can't tell the down and distance until right before the next snap. Meanwhile, he lets you know the size and high school of every opposing player on each play...really weird.

Typical play call went something like this: "Snap-back to Throrne...he gives to Berger...wait....wait...Berger hit and brought down by Jones, the really good, 6-2, 220 pound linebacker out of St. John's Bosco Prep. Then Strayhorn mumbles something and about 5 seconds later George will let you know how many yards were gained.

His call has become worse that Will Tiemans' basketball calls.

For reference, as I was driving home from Gainesville, I flipped around and listened to 3 or 4 other games. ALL of the play-by-lay calls were very descriptive and animated with lots of really good insight from both the play-by-play guy and the analyst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News