ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on class 0f 2023 thus far.....Offense

Matt Dorsey

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
QB: I like Edmundson for a couple of reasons. I think he has a nice upside and might be a bit underrated overall. With him following Houser, its puts MSU in a solid situation from a depth standpoint if you assume Fay may change positions or could look elsewhere. Edmundson is probably in good shape to come in a RS and maybe get two years of separation between him and Houser. In addition, if Houser is what we hope, I don't see him as a 5 year guy anyway. So that would put Edmundson is a position to 2 year starter minimum. Similar to the way Hoyer set himself up following Stanton. It worked out pretty well for him:) In addition, landing a solid QB, but not super highly ranked, puts MSU in good shape for 2024 QR recruiting. It is hard to sign highly touted QB's every year. Maybe Clemson, Bama and OSU can do it, but look at PSU this year as a good example. So MSU should be in good shape for 2024.

RB: Reescano is a very solid get. I like how he runs behind his pads and how he is patient when it comes to setting up and following his blockers. He also has solid hands out of the backfield. I do not think he has elite speed, but Bell didn't either (Not that he is Bell). His highlights actually remind me current Spartan Jalen Berger to some extent. He does not have the elusiveness of a K9 or a Ringer, but few do. In limited pass protection he shows well. MSU's RB room is a little crowded right now, but it is going to clear out after 2022 season and Reescano will have a chance to get in the mix sooner rather that later. Coaches often have to teach guys to run north/south, that will not be an issue with Reescano. He will hit the hole, take what is there and fall forward. That may not make as many highlights as someone who dances, but 2 and 6 is always better than 2nd and 9.

WR: MSU did a real nice job with the class of 2022 so they had the luxury of being picky and focusing on a player they see as having elite talent. They made Bell a top priority and it looks as if the evaluation was solid as he has been a riser in the eyes of most recruiting services. MSU will lose Reed and Mosley after 2022 so that will open up a 100+ receptions for the guys mainly in the class of 2022 and possibly Bell. It will be interesting to see of he is an early enroll guy. BTW, with Marsh already on board for 2024 MSU could sit tight at this position....Unless someone special pops up.

TE: I love TE prospects, especially those who I believe have multiple position ability (i.e. either OL or even DL). I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan and they drafted a C this year who has a bright future. He was originally signed as a TE by the Cornhuskers. Cole Chewins was a TE prospect coming out of HS. Tyler Hoover was a 6'7 235lbs TE/DE at same age. Brennan Parachek is a jumbo ATH. He is legit 6'5+ and 230+. That means he has a frame to add plenty of quality size. Maybe he ends up being a massive 6'6 260lb TE in the mold of Kyle Rudolph, but who knows. He has a lot of versatility. BTW, while watching Parachek's fim the guy he reminded me of the most was a kid named Brian O'Neil (Pitt) who I scouted a lot due to a friend of mine coaching him in high school. Here is his profile. Notice he was a TE/DE in HS as well.

OL: Overall I think you have to be satisfied with the class MSU has brought in. OL recruiting had some ups and downs when it came to the summer with NIL and $ coming into play on several recruits. Stanton Ramil has excellent size for the OT spot. Cole Dillinger is a mauler who could be a Kyle Cook type of player for those that remember him. Clay Wedin has the size that would seem to make a guy who could have OT and OG versatility. The guy who is overlooked a little bit is Jon Slack. I think he could be the key to this class. If he can come in and be that 3 year solid C starter that makes a HUGE difference as it gives the rest of the OL continuity and versatility. What you do not want is another Kyonta Stallworth situation. Stallworth was a solid Spartan, but he just never was able to add size to be a physical OL and he was not quick enough to be a starting DL. Slack has quick feet and play OT for MLK. MSU has had the luxury of having a decade of Allens' at the C spot. Overall MSU has signed a solid OL class that addresses every position.

So overall I think you can give the offensive recruits a solid B+. They have signed quality at every spot even if they do not take anymore on that side of the ball. They also have put themselves in a good position to still recruit key positions very well in 2024.

How would this be an A.....Well I think you would have needed a freak player be it an Dante Moore or Myles McVey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News