ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting & 2020 OL

strategic100

All-Skiles
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
OH
At the end of post are my key thoughts on recruiting in general, especially for the last eight classes. Updated 2/2/2019

First up is one of the most critical elements for MSU, offensive line. New coach in Bollman. Depth and experience slowly growing back to the '15 level. I really like the big '19 OL class of Dobbs, Samac, DuPlain, Brown, and Kaylor. Bollman served as the offensive line coach at Ohio State University from 2001 to 2011 and at BC in 2012 and Purdue in 2013. The Buckeyes won seven Big Ten titles during his tenure at OSU and he sent 10 of his linemen go on to the NFL. He believes in versatility. He once said there were "centers and everyone else". A pure technician. The good thing at this point in the recruiting cycle is that he has the clay to mold this young group of Allen, Jarvis, Reid, Carrick, Bueter, Ohonba, Isiah, Douglas and the '19 recruits into a solid line. Perhaps even Arcuri and Campbell take steps forward next year under Bollman. Bollman is not afraid to alter the starting lineup. At Ohio State, he shook up the lineup several times mid-season moving up freshman and sophomores to starting roles over more senior players. You can be assured of one thing; the starting line-up next year could look vastly different than this year. The other element is center. I would expect a big improvement from that position in '19. Just ask Nick Mangold how Bollman molded him into a great center. Its a strong center that anchors a line, knowing where everyone needs to be and making alterations on the fly. No one preaches this more than Bollman.

With such a large depth of offensive lineman in the fold, I project three to four lineman to come in the 2020 class. Intelligence, agility, size, flexibility at positions are the key themes. Here is my analysis of the top prospects that the program has on the radar and other prospects I found in the mid-west that might fit the Bollman mold. I put these recruits in order of priority & likelihood after junior days and additional January offers.

OL HOT BOARD:

g7ow0vdoi0awy7kf4klk

Justin Rogers (6-4, 315 pounds - offered) In my first installment I did not mention him as his recruitment seemed such a long-shot. But after several visits, including junior day, he has to be at least listed on the board officially. He was quoted last summer as “Definitely my future is outside the (state of Michigan),” He recently indicated after his Tennessee visit that "I just want to get out of the midwest," Thus it is still a long-short. He is no doubt a top of the radar recruit for any program in the country. He has visited Ohio State on multiple occasions and is close with Cass Tech Josh Alabi. The change in coaching with Ryan Day might have had an impact along with his preference to head south. Georgia and Clemson also very high on the totem pole. He has a great relationship with Georgia's OL coach Sam Pittman. Clemson also in the picture with an offer and a visit. Even, Kentucky as he attended their junior day. He noted Kentucky was the first to offer. Tennessee has made recent progress as he has visited twice. He is a phenomenal athlete the top ranked OG in the country. Ohio State was early leader, then Georgia. But I don't think he is close to deciding. One thing that is more certain. He wants to play early and start, most likely going three years. It will be very difficult to secure his commitment, but it would be a home run for the staff.

ml2cbqnogh69j2efrrtq

Josh Priebe (6-5, 275 pounds - offered)
He attended Spartan elite camp last summer and recent junior day. Great news on building a relationship with the staff and Kaylor from Corey's excellent note. His major offers outside of MSU are Miami, Nebraska, Purdue, Duke, and Buffalo. He will head to Junior day at ND on the 23rd. But ND is in the running for multiple top OL this year with 18 offers including top OL Baker, Gentry, Pine, Raym, and Tucker. Priebe plays at Edwardsburg High in Michigan. Is a four year starter for his team, which is a heavy-run offense. Is a powerlifter as well. Shows quickness and can pull as well as any junior I have seen on tape in Michigan. He made Division 4 All-State team along with Karsten Barnhardt from Paw Paw. He reminds me of Barnhardt as well. A typical MSU offer from someone the staff has been in contact for quite some time. He could easily blow-up like Samac and DuPlain did during their senior years. An early commitment here would be great. If not, other schools could jump in. He did visit Michigan for the Wisconsin game, however it seems like there is not much interest. He does not look to be on OSU's radar or Wisconsin's.

dbm0waai8katzjsadybb

Dallas Fincher (6-4, 265 pounds - offered)
has been on the radar for years as a legacy recruit. Did not make official junior day, but special visit no doubt will come this month or next. He had a fantastic Junior season as the Falcons went 8-1. He has to be on the very top of the MSU OL board. Coach D was spotted again in mid-January at East Kentwood High School, no doubt to talk to Dallas about the coaching changes. He is a top-twenty OG nationally. He has been on visits to OSU multiple times, the latest in mid-December. It is most likely a three horse race now, though Wisconsin is in position. However, Wisconsin already has four 2020 OL commitments. Ohio State has three 2020 commitments with Jakob James just coming on board. Greg Studrawa will remain at Ohio State as OL coach under Ryan Day. Fincher has mentioned OSU as a "top school" and OSU might end up taking five or six OL this year. OSU is after several other top prospects including Turner Corcoran, Jake Wray (who decommited but is still considering OSU), Reece Atteberry, and offensive lineman Tosh Baker at Pinnacle High School in Phoenix. Baker just got a visit from the staff and an offer. OSU also visited with Norwalk’s Trey LeRoux, a top OL in Ohio. Of the group, Atteberry looks the most promising as the next commitment. How OSUs recruiting focus will impact Fincher's decision is unknown. But OSU is out there and pounding hard for other offensive lineman and signed 3-star . Iowa also visited him in January is making a push. This one is likely a MSU, OSU, Iowa battle.

tsn21kiosxr2iwpqy6as

Deondre Buford (6-5, 255 pounds - offered)

A smart offer in my mind. A King H.S. player, he has offers from MSU, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Iowa. He is an athletic offensive lineman that can pull and does well in space. Great work ethic, humble, and excels at pass protection. Finally got that in-state offer along with Peny Boone. He was one of the top players at the Best of the Midwest camp in Grand Valley State last June. He has been patiently waiting on bigger offers, especially in-state. The quotes from Corey on MSU demonstrate a solid interest in the Spartans. But he has also spoke highly of the Wolverines. But the Wolverines have not offered. One issue is class size and a massive offer list. Michigan has already offered 35 offensive other offensive lineman for the 2020 class. The Wolverines' top targets include highly ranked OL including Zak Zinter, Andrew Raym, Andrew Gentry, Michael Carmody, Roger Rosengarten, Tosh Baker, and Anton Harrison. After taking six lineman in 2019, Michigan will be very selective, with three likely commitments. Thus, I think MSU is in a strong position here. What other offers he gets will make a big difference. Attended junior day.

z3za7y8xdbi9fyrgsswu

Grant Toutant (6-6, 285 pounds - offered)
is the offer that came out of the blue given his early commitment to Penn State. From local De La Salle H.S. Both MSU and OSU visited the school and gave offers on the 16th of January. The staff had previously visited him in September. Toutant was supposedly surprised at both offers. But his escalating performance during his junior year caught the attention of all the major programs. He has grown into the position, which Penn State obviously saw early. He went from 190 pounds to his current weight in just over two years. He just became a starter his junior year and is new to the right tackle position. He was the top OL at the Rising Stars 250 Underclassman Camp that took place on December 8th in Pontiac. He is a great student and wants to major in mechanical engineering. Also faith a very important aspect in his recruitment. As mentioned in the Fincher commentary, Ohio State has two 2020 commitments. Penn State has no other OL commitments for 2020, but does have 20 offers out already. Penn State leads for Michael Carmody, D.C. offensive lineman Anton Harrison and Aaryn Parks, and Zak Zinter is at the top of the list. He is a legacy recruit as with Fincher as well. Wisconsin has offered, but looks full. He has camped at Michigan and went to two games there last season. But no offer yet at this point puts them behind as their focus seems to be on other prospects (mentioned above) He went to Penn State junior this day this weekend along with Zinter, a sign that PSU remains the leader.

feybx9d2xzfqe6gbkp1n

Michael Carmody (6-6, 275 pounds - offered) From Mars, Pa.
Carmody has seen to be a Penn State lean for most of the fall. He has visited PSU more than any other school. Penn State offered back in May and he then attended their summer camp as well as OSUs. OSU seems out of the picture. Virginia Tech got a junior day visit in January. He came away impressed and has now been to Blacksburg three times. But PSU has not given up, with Franklin visiting his school ten days ago. He attended junior day at PSU this past weekend, his sixth overall visit. He also was supposed to go to Michigan's junior day, but no mention he showed up. Michigan has been pressing. He has visited two times and has a solid relationship with Warinner. A rash of new offers in the last two weeks of January from Rutgers, West Virginia, Michigan State, and Mississippi State. Not sure how these teams are seeing an opening here. PSU seems to have a strong lead with Virginia Tech next. I am not sure how MSU gets him on campus at this point.

bq3agecfrrqpijrzo1jm

Zak Zinter (6-7, 300 pounds - offered) a three-star offensive tackle from Buckingham Browne & Nichols in MA. He has been in contact with the staff for nearly six months. He has been to Ann Arbor three times. Went to Boston College junior day this past weekend. He is a top rising prospect with offers from OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Purdue, Boston College, and Tennessee. Michigan seems to have the lead here although Boston College has made an impression. He is very strong with clearing 510 pounds on the dead lift and 355 pounds on the bench. I think at this point it will be hard to pull him away from Michigan or another school. Getting a visit would be the key, but his stock is rising very fast. More offers will no doubt be forthcoming.

Other MSU offers that are less likely to sign; Jimmy Christ (attended PSU junior day), Jake Wray (Georgia, Alabama, Texas A&M, OSU), Drake Heismeyer (attended Missouri junior day).

The next 3 with interest from the staff;

Keegan Smith (6-4, 290)
from Jackson Lumen Christi. He made two trips to East Lansing in the fall. He has an offer from Bowling Green. Same school as Willis. Has been in contact with the staff this fall. Starts at LT and also plays DT. Very good tape.

alehrx3r6x8sa37icp6o

Sam Rengert (6-6, 285)
from Fairbanks in Ohio. Attended the Spartan Elite Camp last summer. He has had some attention from the staff, as SI indicated Tressel visited him on January 14th. He has offers from Purdue, Rutgers, and Virginia. Tall and mobile. He plans to camp at ND next summer and has growing interest from several big programs. He could be the next prospect to get an offer.

dbcdfteorbq45igbpttq

Trey Leroux (6-6, 310)
from Norwalk in Ohio. Michigan State has been in contact with Bollman being the primary. He has not visited campus yet, but MSU is showing solid interest. Kentucky, Purdue, and West Virginia have offered at this point. He is one of the biggest OL recruits in Ohio that demonstrates solid power and balance. I would not be surprised if he gets an offer at some point as well. Michigan is also in the picture, but stacked with prospects (see above).

Other prospects from Ohio that might pop up on the radar for MSU fans include Sam Davis from Geneva and Jared Bycznski from Berea Midpark (same school at Bachie, he has mentioned and visited MSU). I have watched the Hudl tapes from their junior seasons. I like Bycznski from this group. He has great quickness for someone his size, solid run blocker. He has offers from Missouri, Kentucky, and Cincinnati.

The staff, as always, is slowly building up its pipeline for the 2020 OL class. There will be no Dobbs type player this year, but he was a unique talent with a strong link to MSU. Getting Fincher would be a great start, but there are plenty of quality OL in Ohio and Michigan to fill out three or four spots.

Wisconsin already has four 2020 OL commitments, OSU three, PSU one, but looking at other top OL prospects in the DMV, and Michigan is focusing on key players and taking a smaller class. This will help MSU with many of these other players that came to junior day and are getting the most focus.

Tape for all the players mentioned are best viewed at Hudl; https://www.hudl.com/explore/football

Recruiting Thoughts Pig Picture;

1. Senior leadership is a key element to success. I am not talking about those players that are just in their senior year, but also demonstrate leadership and are the among the best players on the team. Unless a program is at the talent level of a Clemson or OSU, a team would want at least 10-15 key (Jr/Sr) starters that also have demonstrated key leadership each season. OSU can lose players early to the NFL, Michigan State cannot. That means having strong junior players like a Conklin/Bachie can also have a dramatic impact on a season's success.
  2. The '15 team had a bedrock of upper classman including seniors Burbridge, J Allen, Clark, Cook, Calhoun, Heath, Harris, Kings, etc. 18 starters were either juniors or seniors. There was depth as well, to offset injuries. Why? Recruiting success earlier in the decade. The classes of '11 and '12 were no doubt two of the best back-to-back classes in the Coach D era. Anyone can go back and look at the pre-season depth chart going into 2015 and marvel at the experience and depth; https://grfx.cstv.com/photos/school...16/misc_non_event/2015PreseasonDepthChart.pdf
  3. Ranking the classes; 2012, 2015, 2011, 2017, 2016, 2013, 2014 ('18 & '19 yet to be determined)
  4. The '16 "dream team" class of 20 turned out to be towards the bottom. It was a combination of bad luck and evaluation. Robertson, King, Corley, Vance, Jackson, Lyke, Lakusa, Andrews, deWeaver all dismissed or transferred out. Panasiuk, Bachie, Layne, Randle, Coughlin, Jones were the hits. Allen solid. Campbell, Arcuri, Chambers, Davis the balance. The 2016 season and the recruiting class (including dismissals of Corley, King, Vance, and Robertson) is still having (and will have) reverberations throughout the program. The Corley incident really hurt recruiting at King. In my mind, the combination of the poor season, poor evaluation on recruiting (when the window was at the highest level), and off-the-field issues with Blackwell are still having a lasting impact.
  5. The debacle '16 team bled into '17. The '17 team did not have much senior leadership (Allen/Frey), but had good younger players from the '15 class (underrated) and were frankly lucky. The team was under-the-radar coming into the season and very young. But the team got a great year from Lewerke, rookie sensation White, an emerging defense, lack of injuries, and much fortune along the way. A few bounces or calls here or there, or injuries, could have put the record at 7-5. The '18 team finally had some leadership with 16 upper classman starters, but was beset with a multitude of issues that have already been discussed heavily on this forum. The defense was spectacular, but the offense anemic. Compare the depth charts of 2015 versus 2018. On defense, very similar. But offensively, the program did not recruit a feature back the likes of LJ or Madre and the OL recruiting evaluation from '13-15 was atrocious. Thus for '18, combine injuries with three sophomore offensive lineman and the lack of a premier running back, a poor season can develop. '18 also lost the glue of Brian Allen and the missing trio of a healthy Scott, London, and Holmes.
  6. In conclusion, this program needs the hit rate each year to be at least 50% on recruiting. MSU needs to not consistently lose players early to the NFL. One or two bad years on evaluation can wreck the program given the small window (or inches) between wins and losses in a difficult competitive conference. Lastly, many contest the staff had an incredible window after the 2013-2015 run that is slowly closing. But as the class of 2012 demonstrated, this program can thrive on three-star prospects. 2020 is not starting out nearly as strong as 2019 recruiting. The odds of landing a Top 100 Dobbs/ Barnett combination is weak given two substandard records in three years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News