ADVERTISEMENT

Revisiting Auston Robertson, the prospect

Josh Helmholdt

Director
Sep 23, 2001
Definitely big news for Michigan State today. Don't have the final details on what he did to meet the coaches' requirements for being able to sign, but with as cautiously as they played it throughout the winter I assume he got the job done.

Now, what does Auston Robertson bring to the table as far as a football player? First, he is a massive defensive end prospect, not too dissimilar to Malik McDowell. He's not quite McDowell's size, but at 6-5, 260 as a HS senior he is one of the biggest prospects at the position in that 2016 class. That being said, I saw a lot of Auston playing LB for his 7-on-7 team, AWP, and he can do that because of his athleticism. McDowell ultimately moved to the inside. My expectation is Robertson stays on the edge because he negates the leverage advantage most OT have over DEs, while also having superior quickness and agility over them.

If there were knocks on Robertson it was that he is still learning in the position and he would disappear for times during games. These, though, are coachable things. 6-5, 260 with his speed and athleticism are not coachable and the Michigan State defensive staff has themselves a tremendously talented product to work with in the No. 140 player in the 2016 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News