ADVERTISEMENT

Some Observations From Michigan Stadium Last Night

MD_Spartan

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hey friends, fellow Spartans and trolls! Happy Halloween. I was fortunate enough (or not, depends how you look at it) to have an invitation to attend the game at the stadium last night. One of my best friends is a UM grad (I know) and he bought us tickets to the game. Seeing as I hadn’t been to the “Big House” before, especially during a rivalry game- and the fact that it’s my best friend (lol), I accepted. It was actually a great time, but I wanted to share my thoughts about the stadium and my experience during the game. Bear with me- this might get long.

The day started out with a tailgate on the golf course, which as an avid golfer and a general fan of tailgates is something I’ve wanted to do for a few years now. We had plenty of fun enjoying the sunlight, and the gorgeous fall weather here in our great state of Michigan. All of the fans I interacted with were kind and respectful, even though I was proudly repping the green and white. Certainly there were jests and some chirping- but I’m not a bitch. I chirped back and all was good well. Anyways, onto the stadium and my thoughts throughout the game.

Being truthful, the stadium environment was electric. It seemed like that the whole event was an ‘experience’ or a production they were putting on for the fans in the stadium. I think at that moment for me, I realized why the UM athletics department does the (nefarious) things they do to PROTECT their football team and brand at all costs. They’re selling a product and it’s their football team. I will give them credit here, that while it certainly felt very contrived, I think the fan experience is better than at our Spartan Stadium.

I think the worst part for me was just the whole vibe in the arena. It was CRINGE and cult like. All throughout the game, the typical tropes of UM being the “Best university” and their typical arrogance was on full display over the PA system and Video boards. But it didn’t stop there. They’re not just the best university in the world, oh no. They also have the best fans, and best band, oh don’t forget that they’re the best team, blah blah. I guess if you repeat anything enough times, it becomes an accepted truth…. Essentially propaganda.

The next thing I was annoyed by was their unhealthy obsession with “records”. Never mind the fact that half their records are not based in reality, the ones that might have truth to them were silly and obsessive anyways. A prime example being when they put on the jumbo board how many people there are in the stands…..the whole stadium BLEW up when they announced that there were 111,083 in attendance. The fans exploded like they had just scored a touchdown. People all around me high fiving and celebrating. Cringe. or how many consecutive games in a row there’s been 100k people there. Wanna know how the hell that many people can fit in that hole? By giving you 6 inches of space to sit on the bleachers, sideways too so your knees don’t hit the person in front of you. Not comfortable.

And lastly, the fans. They talk to the team in such a weird way. They openly criticize the team and boo when plays dont go their way… things such as “just gotta play football. That’s all we gotta do. Play football.” Or w player drops a pass and it’s “wow you have to catch that!!! Cmon, be better!!! Wow!”

……anyways. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Michigan stadium. Being behind enemy lines is fun and all, but that place was just too much for me. As a whole I enjoyed my time spent tailgating and attending the game, but the 5 hour onslaught of pure pro-UM football made this Spartan a little queasy.

In Izzo we trust!!
-Al

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News