ADVERTISEMENT

The Ohio recruiting question.....

Matt Dorsey

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I love that MSU is focusing on Georgia, but those that want to dismiss Ohio are just not looking at facts

When MSU had it rolling under MD

-Denicos Allen
-Kurtis Drummond
-Connor Cook
-Joel Heath
-March Rush
-Chris Fry
-Trevon Pendleton
-RJ Williamson
-Donovan Clark
-Travis Jackson

How many of these kids had an OSU offer, let alone a commitable one if they did? I would say ZERO.

They fact of the matter is that Ohio is going to have 20 high-level kids a year and OSU is only going to take 10 at most. That leaves 10 kids. Dantonio did a very good job of making MSU the #2/3 option for Ohio kids for several years. Kentucky has elevated itself into the #2/3 spot and make no mistake that is why they are no longer a doormat of the SEC. Look at the QB kid they had last year. Look at the 1st Rd draft pick they will have at OL this year.

I am not saying you have to recruit Ohio as well as MD and his staff did, but I think it would be prudent to try and take 3 quality Ohio kids per season.

I know some have said, "but everyone is recruiting Ohio". Well what state do you think UGA, GT, Clemson, Tennessee and Auburn focus on?

So yes, focus on Georgia, but keep in mind you can't ignore Ohio. If you ignore Ohio, you will likely have to be playing against those kids at Iowa, Purdue, Indiana or Minny. You miss on a Georgia kid he ends up at Auburn, you ignore a kid from Dayton and he ends up at on your schedule. So by grabbing a quality Ohio kid you not only improve tour team, you make it more difficult for the Big Ten teams tat do not have the national cache that MSU has.

Think abut UM. They focus on a kid from Cali that could help MSU land a local kid. I am not saying it would of happened but Marcus Rush was don to UM/MSU when UM took a kid from NJ.

I am not saying do not recruit Georgia as hard as possible, but you should not do it at expense of Ohio IMO.

BTW, when MD had it rolling he dipped into Florida and go some very highly ranked kids and beat out SEC teams for them. TJ Harrell, Madre London, Kaleel Gaines, McGarrett Kings, Ezra Robinson.....How many of those guys became elite?

Give me 1 Ohio OL every year.....ala Duplain
Give me 1 Ohio DB every year.....ala Henderson
Give me 1 BIG ATH TE/DE/LB.....ala Pietrowski

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News