ADVERTISEMENT

The Pre-Snap Read: Michigan State vs Rutgers

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I'll post this on the front later, add some photos, and brush it up. But here's the first draft. I wanted to get it out to you as soon as I could because I know there isn't much time until kickoff.

(if you want the straight latest info on Michigan State, scroll down to "THE LATEST ON MICHIGAN STATE")

THE PRE-SNAP READ: Michigan State v. Rutgers

By Jim Comparoni
SpartanMag.com

East Lansing, Mich. - The leaves have been absolutely stunning on campus for the past few days, the best and most beautiful I’ve ever witnessed here.

I feel bad that the campus hasn’t been open to fans for football games. This would have been one of the prettiest autumns ever.

Foliage always looks good around campus at this time of year, but I swore the colors were more brilliant this year.

I met a retired Michigan State professor of agricultural climatology during a walk last week. He confirmed that there are years when the colors are brighter than usual, based on weather factors. This has to be one of those years.

We haven’t had football. We’ve missed it. We’ve missed you. And the trees miss you too.

KICK IT OFF

I can’t pretend to know much about Rutgers. Even Michigan State coaches concede that there will be more unscouted plays and surprises in this game than will be the case at any point all season, or in most seasons.

Not only does Rutgers have a new head coach, new coordinators and a new quarterback, we didn’t even get a look at them during a spring game.

And Rutgers has the same uncertainty about Michigan State.

Kudos to the Big Ten for pitting these two teams against one another in week one. It’s fair - and refreshing for a sport whose conferences aren’t usually big on fairness. If Jim Delaney were still the commissioner, I suspect he would have fed Michigan State to Ohio State in week one, and fed Rutgers to Michigan in week one. For this game, for this week, I think Kevin Warren did us a solid. Nebraska fans would beg to differ.

As for Rutgers, you recall that the Knights were horrible last year, going 2-10 and losing 27-0 at home to Michigan State in the next-to-last game of the season.

The previous staff had already been fired at Rutgers. At halftime, a former Rutgers player Eric LeGrand, who became paralyzed while making a tackle in 2010, addressed the small crowd at SHI Stadium, and said, “We know what we need to do, we know who we need to hire.” That drew an ovation from the few diehards in attendance.

Rutgers was pursuing Greg Schiano, and was trying to get the money right. Schiano wanted to make sure facilities and support would be up to standard. They reached a deal, and the 54-year-old Schiano is back in New Brunswick, N.J. where he elevated Rutgers from records of 2-9 and 1-11 in 2002 to Top 10 status in 2006 with an 11-2 record (with one of those losses coming at the hands of Mark Dantonio and Cincinnati, a win by the Bearcats that was big in helping Dantonio get the Michigan State job).

Schiano then went 8-5, 8-5, 9-4, 4-8 and 9-4 before leaving Rutgers in 2012 to become head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for two seasons.

Then he was out of coaching for two years. Ohio State hired him as defensive coordinator from 2016-18. Ohio State’s defense struggled in 2018 and head coach Ryan Day didn’t retain him in 2019.

Schiano made a run at the University of Tennessee head coaching job in 2018, and reportedly had a job offer. But social media outcry killed the deal. Tennessee fans felt they could do better, and used Schiano’s presence at Penn State from 1990 to ’95 as reason to bash his candidacy.

But Rutgers, after hitting a severe dry spell in recent years, was glad to get him back. And he’s glad to be back, especially with Rutgers in the Big Ten.

The task is more difficult, in some ways, for Schiano than it was in 2001. But the resources and stage are bigger too. His goal back then was to keep New Jersey kids at home. Now, theoretically, with Rutgers in the Big Ten, his pitch has more backing. But the schedule is much tougher.

Schiano 2.0 begins on Saturday at Spartan Stadium, coinciding with the kickoff of Tucker Time.

“There’s going to be a sense of pride for me,” Tucker said. “It’s going to be exciting, to be able to come back to Michigan State where my career started in 1997 and ’98 with Coach Saban, and coming back home. This is not just a job, a coaching opportunity, it’s a life that I continue to live here at Michigan State, at this great university. It’s important to me, to our family, to our coaching staff, and players and our fans and everyone involved, so we are going to give it everything we have for 60 minutes. That’s my mindset and that’s how we’re going to approach this game.”

I like the way Tucker is referring to Michigan State as “this great university.” He’s lived it for a few months and he feels it. It’s genuine. It is a great university. I don’t say that with green and white pom-pons waving. This isn’t about the sports teams, it’s about the university. He came here to coach. But he has seen what the university is all about since he’s been here. He likes it, and it likes him. Now, the football begins.

When Michigan State beat Rutgers last year, 27-0, Johnny Langan was the Scarlet Knights’ quarterback. He was dreadful. He was incapable of moving the offense.

Langan is still on the team, but is now the No. 3 QB.

Last year, they had a QB get injured, and another enter the transfer portal rather than lose a year of eligibility, and a lame duck season fell on Langan’s lap.

Rutgers’ QB on Saturday won’t be as bad as what we saw last year.

Schiano hasn’t revealed if he’ll start 6-foot-1, 195-pound senior Nebraska transfer Noah Vedral or Artur Sitkowski (6-5, 224, Jr.).

Either one will be better than Langan. They will attempt to be game-managers. Neither is a world-beater.

Rutgers is solid at RB with Isaih Pacheco and Aaron Young.

* Rutgers is expected to run a balanced uptempo spread. Rutgers hired offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson away from Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State had 50-50 balance last year in terms of run and pass yardage.

Rutgers wants to average one snap every 15 seconds.

Gleeson spent one year at Oklahoma State. Prior to that, he was OC at Princeton in 2017 and ’18 and regarded as a bright, young, up-and-coming offensive mind. He’s a New Jersey native.

RUTGERS QUARTERBACKS

* I suspect that Artur Sitkowski is going to start over Nebraska transfer Noah Vedral. They each have some experience and ability.

* Sitkowski started as a true freshman in 2018 and had severe struggles. He lost the starting job to a Texas Tech transfer last year, but regained the job after injury.

* Sitkowski isn’t a world beater, but he has more experience and possibly pure talent than Rocky Lombardi. Maybe Lombardi will prove to be capable. But as of now, there is more good film of Sitkowski than there is of Lombardi.

ARTUR SITKOWSKI (6-5, 224, Jr., Old Bridge, NJ)

* Was a 5.7 three-star recruit, ranked No. 82 in Florida, where he attended IMG Prep.

* Played in three games last year including two starts. Lost the starting QB job to a Texas Tech transfer, who subsequently went down with an injury and retired.

* Opted to sit out the remainder of last year in order to preserve a redshirt. Entered the transfer portal, and then changed his mind and returned to Rutgers after Schiano was hired.

* Last year went 44 of 68 for 429 yards and a TD.

* Was 17 of 24 against Michigan.

* Was 23 of 33 for 304 yards against Boston College.

* As a freshman in 2018, started 11 games. Completed only 49 percent of his passes for 1,158 yards and four TDS.

* Threw 18 INTs as a freshman.

* Was 29 of 46 for 267 yards against Illinois.

* Was 20 of 39 for 261 yards at Wisconsin.

Sitkowski video last year vs Boston College

NOAH VEDRAL (6-1, 195, Sr., Wahoo, Neb.)

* He will be wearing No. 0. I’ve never seen a QB wear No. 0, except maybe in a bad Disney movie.

* Vedral was a 5.3 two-star recruit when he signed with Scott Frost at Central Florida.

* He transferred to Nebraska with Frost.

* He transferred to Rutgers last winter.

* Vedral (pronounced Ved-DRILL) can provide short-pass functionality and maybe a little bit of intermediate ability.

+ Sneaky good running ability, like a watered down Brian Lewerke.

+ Vedral was a second-stringer at Nebraska last year. He started two games due to an injury to the first-stringer.

+ Last year was 34 of 52 for 418 yards for the year, with 106 yards rushing.

+ Was 14 of 16 for 201 yards against Indiana last year.

+ Was 14 of 23 for 135 yards against Minnesota while also rushing for 49 yards.

+ Engineered a game-winning drive against Northwestern in relief.

= Appeared in eight games as a back-up for 13-0 Central Florida in 2017. Was 22 of 29 for 276 yards in mop up duty with one TD.

Noah Vedral Highlights:

RUTGERS RUNNING BACKS

ISAIH PACHECO
(5-11, 210, Jr., Vineland, NJ) is a hard runner with good vision. He had 729 yards rushing last year.

He rushed for 156 yards with four TDs against a weak UMass team last year.

He was held to 36 yards on 12 carries against Michigan State last year.

Pacheco was named preseason fourth-team All-Big Ten by Athlon’s.

Pacheco turned heads with this run against Michigan in 2018:

AARON YOUNG
(5-10, 198, Soph.) is a former Michigan State commitment. He was a 5.7 three-star recruit, ranked the No. 12 player in New Jersey by Rivals.com

He’s going to be pretty good.

Last year, Young had 15 receptions for 113 yards. He had 43 carries for 153 yards. He will always be extra motivated vs Michigan State, not because he hates Michigan State, but because he knows Michigan State and he will want to show out a little extra.

RECEIVERS:

THE SKINNY:
Melton is a reliable possession type of guy. Cruickshank, a former Badger, is hoping for a rebirth and breakthrough as an every-down WR.

WR BO MELTON (5-11, 190, Sr., Mays Landing, NJ)

+ Led the team last year in receptions with 30. Had 28 catches in 2018.

+ Ranked 19th in the Big Ten in yards per reception at 14.1. Not bad.

WR ARON CRUICKSHANK (5-10, 160, Jr. Brooklyn, NY)

* 5.7 three-star recruit, No. 5 in New York.

+ Was second-team All-Big Ten on special teams last year at Wisconsin.

+ He had two kickoff returns for TDs last year for the Badgers, including one in the Rose Bowl.

+ At Wisconsin, had a 23-yard TD run on a reverse against Illinois in 2018.

+ He had 13 rushes last year for the Badgers (10.6 average per carry) but no receptions.

* He transferred to Rutgers in order to become more utilized as a receiver.

WR SHAMEEN JONES (6-2, 180, Sr., Bronx, NY)

* Was a 5.8 four-star recruit, ranked No. 7 in New Jersey.
= Had only two catches last year while playing in 10 games.
+ Had 15 catches in seven starts as a redshirt freshman in 2018.

TE JOVANI HASKINS (6-5, 251, Sr., Bergenfield, NJ)

* Was a 5.7 three-star recruit, ranked No. 12 in New Jersey.

* Transfer from West Virginia, where he had four catches last year and 16 catches in 2018.

* He started three games for West Virginia last year and had three catches against Texas.

* Transferred from Miami to West Virginia in 2017.

RUTGERS OFFENSIVE LINE

* I have not studied these guys on film and have little opinion or insight on them:

THE SKINNY: The left side of the line looks functional on paper.

LT RAIQUON O’NEAL (6-4, 296, Conway, S.C.)
* Was a 5.5 three-star recruit, ranked No. 24 in South Carolina. Had several other FBS offers.
+ He started four games at LT last year as a redshirt freshman.

LG NICK KRIMIN (6-5, 310, Sr., South Amboy, NJ).
* Was a 5.6 three-star recruit, ranked No. 19 in New Jersey.
+ Started 12 games last year and has 15 career starts.

At center, Schiano didn’t disclose who was winning the competition between a redshirt freshman who played in two games last year and a former defensive tackle who had a TFL vs Michigan State last year.

RG CEDRICE PAILLANT (6-4, 298, Jr., New Rochelle, NY).
* Junior college transfer who will be making his major college debut on Saturday.
* Was ranked the No. 15 juco offensive tackle in the nation by JCGridiron.com.

RT REGGIE SUTTON (6-4, 291, Jr., Towson, Md.)
* Was a 5.5 three-star, ranked No. 23 in Maryland.
= Appeared in six games last year. Had one start as a freshman in 2018 in a jumbo set.

RUTGERS DEFENSE

THE SKINNY:
Decent on the d-line, a little star power in the middle at linebacker, decent amount of returning starter talent in the secondary.

* The offense was so bad last year that it was hard for the d-line to hold water for all 60 minutes.

* The Rutgers defense adds legit 2019 contributors who transferred from Michigan (at DT) and Ohio State (CB).

DEFENSIVE LINE:

THE SKINNY:
Three of the four starters are proven, solid players.

DT MICHAEL DWUMFOUR (6-1, 296, Sr., Scotch Plains, NJ)
* Was a 5.5 three star recruit, ranked No. 24 in New Jersey.

* Michigan transfer started two games for the Wolverines in 2019 and two games in 2018.

* I watched him closely at Michigan and never thought he was a bad player. Solid talent. I would expect him to be a productive, well-received player at Rutgers. Was somewhat of an underrated recruit for Michigan, if you can believe there is such a thing.

* Had 1.5 TFLs for Michigan last year.

* Had three sacks in 2018.

* He is backed up by Minnesota transfer Mayan Ahanotu, who played three games for the Gophers last year.

DT ROBIN JUTWRETEN (6-5, 265, Jr., Stockholm, Sweden)
* Has seen action in 13 games, zero starts.

* Was a 5.4 two-star recruit, understandably an unknown coming out of Sweden. For what it’s worth, he helped lead Sweden to the u19 European Championship in 2017.

DE ELORM LUMOR (6-3, 241, Sr., Piscataway, NJ)
* Was a 5.6, three-star recruit.
* 24 career starts.
* Led the team with three sacks last year.

DE MIKE TVERDOV (6-4, 254, Sr., Union, NJ)
* Was a 5.5 three-star recruit, ranked No. 24 in New Jersey.
* 12 career starts.
* Had 2.5 TFLs last year and one sack.

* He is backed-up Malik Barrow, a former four-star recruit who signed with Ohio State, transferred to Central Florida and has now transferred to Rutgers. Barrow has been a washout thus far. He saw action in four games at UCF last year. He played in two games in three years at OSU.

LINEBACKERS

THE SKINNY:
Their five best linebackers return. “A year older with better coaching and this unit can do wonders,” said Rivals Rutgers site publisher Richard. “Fogg and Fatukasi both have NFL potential.”

MLB TYSHON FOGG (6-1, 232, Sr., Baltimore)

* Was a 5.8 four-star recruit, ranked No. 7 in Maryland.
* Was honorable mention All-Big Ten by coaches and media last year.
* Started 12 games last year. Had 104 tackles and four TFLs.

LB OLAKUNLE FATUKASI (6-1, 234, Sr., Far Rockaway, NY)

* Was a 5.6 three-star recruit, ranked No. 7 in New York.
+ Four-year regular and second-year starter.
+ Fourth-team preseason All-Big Ten by Phil Steele.
+ 85 tackles last year.

* At the other LB position, sophomore Deion Jennings is battling with Michigan transfer Drew Singleton for the job.

Jennings started three games last year. Had an interception in the end zone against Michigan State.

Singleton (6-2, 222, Newark, NJ/Paramus Catholic) started two games for Rutgers last year. He saw action in seven games for Michigan in 2018.

DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD

* There is some experience here and it will be interesting to see what kind of boost Brendon White provides as a transfer from Ohio State. He was a legit contributor for the Buckeyes.

S BRENDON WHITE (6-2, 220, Sr., Powell, Ohio)
* Was a 5.9 four star recruit, ranked No. 2 in Ohio
+ Was 2019 Rose Bowl Defensive MVP.
+ Started one game at OSU last year and saw action in 10 games.
* Had 19 tackles and two TFLs for the Buckeyes last year.
* Started five games at OSU in 2018.
* He left OSU, wanting more of a regular role. He was in the rotation at OSU last year at the “bullet” hybrid slot position.

CB TRE AVERY (5-11, 180, Sr., Baltimore)
* Was a 5.5 three-star recruit, ranked No. 29 in Maryland.

* Originally signed with Ohio State, transferred to Toledo before the season started, then transferred to Rutgers a year later.

+ Started four games at CB last year.
+ Had two INTs last year.
+ Had four tackles vs Michigan State.

CB AVERY YOUNG (6-0, 198, JR., Coatesville, Pa.)
* 5.5 three-star recruit, ranked No. 31 in Pennsylvania.
+ 21 career starts.

S CHRISTIAN IZIEN (5-10, 198, R-Soph., Far Rockaway, NY)
* Was a two-star recruit, unranked.
* Seven starts last year. Had 78 tackles.

SPECIAL TEAMS

+ Cruikshank is a problem in the return game, obviously.
+ The kicker, Justin Davidovicz, was 11 of 15 on field goals last year with a long of 50. He’s a senior.

ADD IT ALL UP

* On paper, this team looks better than last year’s 2-10 squad, which isn't saying a lot. But this is one 2-10 team that I think has the ability to make nice improvement in year one of a new staff. Usually when a new coach inherits a 2-10 mess, you have to wait quite awhile for progress. I think Rutgers has some punch, but I don't know how many games they can win in a schedule of nothing but conference games. However, they get Illinois and Purdue as crossover games, so Warren (and schedule czar Barry Alvarez) did Rutgers some favors there.

But the QB could be quite different with a maturing Sitkowski. They’re solid at RB, TE and have some x-factors at WR.

The defense adds good players at DT and CB who transferred from Michigan and Ohio State.

* On paper, this lineup doesn’t look bad at all. I wish I had a chance to see film so that I could get a better grasp of things, as do the Michigan State coaches.

We have seen at Arkansas this year as the latest example of a new coaching staff coming in, inheriting decent talent and simply getting everyone to play accountable, well-coached football, and boom, things can look different rather quickly. I’m not expecting Rutgers to be good, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they make the type of immediate leap to respectability that Purdue made when Jeff Brohm was hired.

Schiano was a failure, in my opinion, at Ohio State. I’m not sure if that was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, or if he lost his touch as a coordinator. I don’t know. Maybe he’s better as a head man. We’ll begin to find out on Saturday. He certainly has an edge over Tucker in head coaching experience.

THE LATEST ON MICHIGAN STATE

* Here’s the position-by-position skinny, to the best of my knowledge at this hour. (NOTE: I've heard nothing new since doing my podcasts this week. So some of this might be repeat info for you).

QUARTERBACKS

* Most indications, rumors and smoke point toward Rocky Lombardi getting the start. As of last week, I heard he was making the fewest mistakes of the three contenders.

I’ve heard that Lombardi has improved, which you would expect from a fourth-year player with starting experience. Players have responded to his leadership. He’s well-liked, probably a better person and competitor than he is a quarterback. But he can begin rewriting his quarterbacking reputation tomorrow.

* Coaches were really impressed with Theo Day’s physical stature, arm and athleticism. He’s been a little foggy mentally. They are hoping he grows out of that.

* I haven’t heard much about Payton Thorne, other than he is accepting his role without a problem at this time. That sounds like he is second- or third-string.

Thorne and Day battled for No. 3 status all last year. Thorne pulled ahead, but that was for a different staff. The previous staff had some frustrations with Day as well.

Mel Tucker’s “Motivation Monday” tweet seemed to be a message to Theo Day, telling him to not dwell on the past, focus on the future and trust the process. Sounds like something you would tell a player who might be relegated to scout team duty but has talent.

But I’m not 100 percent sure who we’ll see start at QB at this juncture. The players know. The program has done a decent job keeping it pretty quiet. But the squeaks I’ve been hearing are pointing toward Lombardi.

RUNNING BACKS

* No news here. Elijah Collins is the man. He’s a big bigger, fresh, experienced, confident. I’ll be eager to see who gets the call for No. 2 carries. I’m expecting Anthony Williams, but it’s a talented, hungry stable behind Collins.

The new staff is intrigued with Connor Heyward’s skill set, but so was the previous staff. He has hands and an interesting mix of wiggle and power. He has improved himself physically. Now he needs to show the proper vision and instincts for the RB position. If nothing else, he could be a third down receiver - but would you really rather have him on the field than a wide out or Trenton Gillison? I don’t know the answer to that. And if he doesn’t have much of a role, will he remain positive? Might Heyward be better as a receiver in a non-passing down? Perhaps, but once he does that a time or two, then you're tipping your hand that it's going to be a pass play just by subbing him into the game. So, bottom line, he needs to show the run-game side of his versatility package.

WIDE RECEIVERS

* Jalen Nailor and Jayden Reed have impressed. Tre Mosley is right there with them. CJ Hayes has been banged up. I’m not sure of his situation. I haven’t heard much the veteran reserve wide receivers, which probably isn’t great news for them.

Coaches have been impressed with the incoming class of freshmen, which isn’t a surprise.

“I like what I’m seeing from our receiving corps,” Tucker said. “They are talented and there are quite a few guys that we feel like can make plays.

“Jayden Reed, he shows up every day. Jalen Nailor has some tremendous tools. Tre Mosley, obviously he can make plays. And I really like some of these freshmen that we have in here: Ricky White, Montorie Foster, and Terry Lockett - those are guys that go out every day and they compete and they make plays in practice.

“I feel like we’ve got competition at that position, which is excellent. And those guys also are willing and able to contribute on special teams. So it’s a group that I’m pleased with their development.

Courtney Hawkins is coaching those guys, and Hawk is one of the great all-time Spartans, he played the position at a high level in the NFL, and is an outstanding coach. He’s very intense, with attention to detail, a sense of urgency and his players really respond to him and they don’t want to disappoint him, and I can tell that by the way they practice.”

OFFENSIVE LINE

* Senior center Matt Allen has been telling us that the coaches were telling all linemen that no jobs were safe. Allen said he liked it. He said he likes having people nipping at his heels.

Well, there might be more than just nipping going on.

There have been indications from SpartanMag’s Corey Robinson that Nick Samac may have beaten out Allen for the starting job. Robinson has good sources on this. This would not surprise me, in some ways, but would stun me in other ways. In the end, if Samac is good enough to beat out a proven player like Allen, then that’s a great sign for the center position for the future.

Now news is good news at o-tackle with AJ Arcuri and Kevin Jarvis. They have each played good football, and they have each had injury problems. If healthy, those two could and should be solid to good at o-tackle.

We’re hearing JD Duplain and Matt Carrick as the starting guards. That makes sense. They were functional last year. It’s time for them to take their games up another step as older men. And it’s time for the o-line to gel as a unit. There are five capable individuals in this group, and they’re working with a new strength staff and a highly- respected new offensive line coach. Add it all up and there’s potential for a major leap in this area. It won’t be hard to be better than they’ve been in the past two years, and these o-linemen are eager to prove themselves.

TIGHT ENDS

An area of question marks and need remains a thin spot for the team heading into the opener. Coaches indicated that Matt Dotson is still trying to come back from last year’s achilles injury, which took place 11 months ago. I have been wondering if the spring shutdown interrupted his rehab.

Coaches said last month that they would be counting on him. Maybe he has come back strong. I don’t know. We will learn more Saturday.

Trenton Gillison is a slippery receiver but as of 11 months ago was still a substandard blocker. Has he improved as a blocker? You’ll know when I know.

Adam Berghorst offered help as a blocker late last season. He added 20 pounds of man bulk. Can he help as a receiver? You’ll know when I know.

Former punter Tyler Hunt earned compliments of surprise from the coaches. They like him as an athlete. He’s not the biggest guy. But based on the rumblings, I’m expecting him to get some reps.

Max Rosenthal is a shortish guy at 6-2 who helped as a fullback/H in the past. This offense won’t use a fullback, but they’ll use a “move” H. He might be able to help there. He’s functional. But I wouldn’t expect him to be an impact guy.

Along with quarterback, tight end is one of the biggest question marks on the team.

DEFENSIVE LINE

* Michigan State is comfortable with its new defensive tackles. Jacub Panasiuk is a proven player at d-end and now it would be nice if he could become a consistent plus player. That’s possible.

At the other defensive end position, Drew Beesley is 20 pounds heavier and trustworthy. There is buzz that big linebacker Chase Kline (6-4, 235) will get time as a stand-up defensive end. Kline is a high-motor hound dog who could mesh nicely with that kind of role. Can he be an every-down defensive end against teams capable of sending power runs at him, like Iowa or Michigan? We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

A platoon of Beesley and Kline would be interesting. Jack Camper impressed Dantonio early in his career but has been bothered by injuries. He said he was healthy all summer and was looking forward to making an impact this fall. Now he has his chance. He could be a decent second-stringer, or more. You’ll learn as I learn.

At defensive tackle, it sounds like Michigan State might be reloading. I hesitate to use that word until I see Naquan Jones on an every-down basis. But he has the goods.

He’s joined inside by Jacub Slade, who was a quality back-up DT last year and saw quality playing time. Teammates have had a lot of good things to say about Jalen Hunt; Dantonio liked his trajectory quite a bit, too, last year.

Dashaun Mallory (6-2, 345, R-Soph., Bolingbrook, Ill.) is an interesting prospect. On the practice field, his pure size made me stop and do a double-take when he was a freshman. He had to tighten up his girth. I wasn’t sure if he was a good prospect or just an uncommon sight. I didn’t hear much about him last year, but Mel Tucker offered some compliments for him last week.

“I really feel good about Slade and I feel good about Mallory and the way he’ll play,” Tucker said. “Jay Hunt has done a good job in there and we have some newcomers who are fighting like heck in there in the trenches.

“I feel like it’s a bunch of guys that are very well-coached. Ron Burton is one of the better coaches in the game. I’ve known him for over 20 years and he believes in physical football and being fundamentally sound and playing with real good pad level and hand placement and flat backs and hat speed, and you see that show up in the way his guys play. Obviously we have enough size and toughness and want-to there inside on the defensive line that we should be able to be stout in there and be able to control the line of scrimmage.”

LINEBACKERS

* I’m not sure whether Antjuan Simmons or Noah Harvey will be in the middle making the calls. Both are well-trusted. I heard there was a little frustration with Harvey at the outset of camp, getting things together. But he’s a proven player coming off a big bowl game.

Simmons is 10 pounds heavier, stronger and says he’s faster. The coaches love him. Could he go from good to very good this year? Maybe so, but he’ll be at a new position as an inside backer. He was a quality slot line backer in the past. Moving inside, with added weight, doesn’t guarantee improvement. When Greg Jones added weight as a senior, I thought it made him slower and less effective. I thought Max Bullough surpassed his ideal weight later in his career too. Michigan State has a new strength staff now, and Simmons is at a new position. Again, you’ll learn when I learn.

* As for the seventh player in the front seven, will it be a linebacker or a nickel back? I’ve heard Michigan State has prepared both, which isn’t big news. You always enter a season with a nickel package for passing downs. The question is whether Michigan State will go to a nickel defense as its base defense against most three-WR formations on first-and-10. That’s the way Kansas State played last year under Scottie Hazelton, MSU’s new defensive coordinator.

I’m expecting a fifth defensive back to start. I heard last summer that Shakur Brown was being considered strongly for the role. He added about 10 pounds. This week, with our ears to the ground, we heard more indications that Brown was going to be the man in the slot area.

That might seem a little strange, moving a CB to the slot area rather than a safety. If this turns out to be the case, they must simply want some quick coverage feet in the slot, and a guy who can throw his hat at the run game. Brown was pretty good in run defense as a CB, but if he indeed is the slot man, I’ll be intrigued to see how it pans out. I’m not making any predictions on it.

If and when Michigan State wants three linebackers as part of the front seven, Kline can probably man that role. However, Jeslord Boateng was being groomed as a slot linebacker before the coaching change. If and when Michigan State goes with three LBs in the front seven, Boateng might be best-suited for the slot area. If Michigan State goes with Kline along with Simmons and Harvey, they’ve all become bigger type LBs. Maybe Simmons would move back out to the slot if and when Michigan State goes with a standard 4-3.

By the way, if Kline happens to play a lot, or even start the game, as a stand-up defensive end, and Michigan State goes with Brown in the slot, that could technically be viewed as a 3-3-5 defense.

CORNERBACKS

If Shakur Brown plays inside, I’m hearing Kalon Gervin and Chris Jackson nudged ahead at cornerback. Gervin played over a hundred snaps last year. He needs to be ready for more this year.

Jackson saw fewer than 20 snaps last year. He has rallied from the third string.

With Harlon Barnett back, some of the talents of these players will come out of hibernation.

Davion Williams is an excellent athlete, but hasn’t quite gained trust. Julian Barnett is a fantastic athlete too, but same thing. He is still learning, and not quite ready.

Dominique Long is a senior who has been a menace on special teams. He had opportunities at CB and safety in camp. Coaches say he will have a role. They love him as a person and a student, but I don’t think he has quite taken that next step.

* At safety, competition was still being waged throughout the week. Xavier Henderson is going to start. That’s a given.

He can play free or strong safety.

Henderson could play free safety and be paired with good-sized Michael Dowell.

Or Henderson could play strong safety and be paired with smaller but big-hitting Tre Person.

It’s my understanding that it was a competition between Person and Dowell as to who will be Henderson’s tag team partner. There are enough snaps, especially at high tempo, for all three to get time.

Could Person be well-versed enough to play some downs as a free safety with Henderson, and also replace Brown at times in the slot area?

The more you spread players around the plate, the better chance you’ll have for communication errors. Michigan State needs to stay away from busts. They had way, way too many of them in the defensive backfield last year under Paul Haynes. Barnett and Mike Tressel will get that fixed eventually, if not immediately. But the more that roles are spread around, the harder their job is.

SPECIAL TEAMS

* No news is good news in the place kicking department, I would think. Things have been a little shaky there the last two year with Matt Coughlin after a great start to his career. He has happy-go-lucky confidence.

As for the Australian punting transfer from UTEP, Mitchell Crawford, again, I haven’t heard a thing.

As for return men, I’m expecting Nailor or Reed. They’ve both done it pretty well in the past, at times.

ADD THE REST OF IT UP

Despite all the verbiage, I’ve never known less about two football teams prior to an Michigan State game since coming to SPARTAN Magazine in 1993.

Well, that might not be true, but it feels that way.

I think the players love playing and working for Tucker. I think that will show on the field. But Rutgers has players, too. They’re excited too. And, who knows, Rutgers might have an edge at quarterback.

Michigan State had better make sure they find a way to tackle Cruikshank on special teams coverage.

Lombardi needs to operate without giving Rutgers any gifts.

Michigan State would love to be able to give Lombardi a good running game, but Rutgers’ defensive front seven might be the best area of their team.

The key battle, in my eyes, is MSU’s potentially revitalized offensive line against a respectable Rutgers defensive front seven. Michigan State will try to run on their terms, as Tucker says. If they can, it could be a nice day. If they can’t, then more will fall on Lombardi’s lap. And the knuckles could get tight.

This isn't a prediction, but I'm expecting something ugly, like a 20-14 type of Michigan State win. So hard to say with Lombardi, hard to say with Sitkowski against what should be a pretty good Michigan State defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News