ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Thoughts on Luke Fickell

DavidHarns

All-Van Pelt
Staff
Oct 29, 2013
Another week, another name.

This time it's Wisconsin coach Luke Fickell.

There is no doubt that Fickell is someone who Haller will want to talk to once it gets to that point.

Will Fickell take it serious, though?

Probably not. It was described to me as “a long shot.” He would be a “hard get.” Would he entertain discussions for leverage, though?

For what it’s worth, Dantonio has a good relationship with Fickell. He wanted him to take over in 2020 but obviously it didn’t work out.

Another interesting note – during Tucker’s contract negotiations in 2021, Fickell was considered an option if MSU didn’t increase Tucker’s pay and Tucker left for LSU. In fact, to some, it was the preferred option.

Fickell may entertain MSU now but, obviously, some of the reasons his wife didn’t like it before are more magnified now. Different, but magnified. In this case, though, MSU leadership appears to have taken proper steps to handle the situation – Fickell’s wife might view that positively.

Sources have also told me that Fickell is waiting for Ohio State to open up. Guys from his staff believe this to be true. “An Ohio guy who wants to go back to Ohio.”

A few other notes:

Sources indicate that the Duke interest is not mutual.

Also, the most likely scenario is MSU will end up with the Bowling Green or the Utah version of Urban Meyer:

- Young
- high energy
- innovative play caller
- good family man

Fickell fits that mold obviously but I don’t think MSU can get him from Madison to East Lansing. Haller will try though, it seems.

I’ve been told that Fickell is “not a war time general, he wants to be a peace time general” and that “he’s not a money guy.”
He’s been offered numbers he won’t even look at. He doesn’t care. He slides the envelope back over – not driven by money.

MSU will probably end up with a coach on a shorter term contract, incentive-laden. From 5 to under 7 million per year.

Regarding Fickell, it is important to remember, though, that long shots do hit sometimes. But not usually.

Two issues that are going to make this more difficult:

- the NIL component
- the search for a president

I’m still looking into both of those issues to see what more I can find and share with you all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News