ADVERTISEMENT

To me- that was a Program Loss

sas51

All-Van Pelt
Jul 18, 2001
I have been on this board since Day 1 and I have never gotten caught up in a single "argument" on this board - I simply choose to ignore and move on. I try not make controversial posts, and usually just state my opinion or an observation on something and move on. I have NEVER posted anything near this long before, and likely won't again.

Feeling a bit different after yesterday and I AM NOT calling for anyone to be fired. I haven't seen our players quit, and if they had, I may feel differently about some of the coaches.

I will go to bed tonight a Spartan fan and wake up a Spartan fan tomorrow. I will be just as big a fan when I wake up next Sunday after the Penn State game. I starting going to games in the Denny Stoltz era and still live-and-die with every play (my wife won't even watch the games with me).

People like to say "that was a Program Win" after certain victories. To me, yesterday was a Program Loss. I expect to lose against Penn State and not sure it will be close. In today's day and age, it is an absolute atrocity for a program like ours to not make a bowl game. Currently there are NINE Big Ten teams that are bowl eligible - and yes, I realize that 5 of them are in the West and just beat each other.

There is absolutely NO excuse to allow 39 points to a team that completes 2 passes. Last year and earlier this year we had no pass defense (Henderson's return was huge). Now we have no run defense - feel free to blame that on injured and suspended guys, but I watched Henderson take horrible angles all day. Our starting CB's did the same. We have had absolutely no consistency on defense for 2 full years.

On offense, we continually run slow-developing plays on 3-1 and 4-1 and get stopped. Meanwhile, every single Spartan fan that has ever watched a game is screaming "run the QB sneak!!". Well, we finally ran it once this week and it worked...yay. The other 4 times we got stopped for a loss and threw one pass to 2 receivers that was incomplete. I just don't get it. I THINK I really like JJ as a play-caller sometimes, but he can't seem to bring himself to call a simple QB sneak that every single team in the world runs. Hell, Tom Brady, the prettiest QB in history, is a master of the QB sneak.

And we have the LEAST special teams in history (other than our best player, a freaking punter!). I cannot understand how a major college program can go through an entire season without a kicker.

Recruiting at this point is just average. And for a guy like CMT, I expect a lot more than average. It's great that we are in on a bunch of higher level players from around the hotbeds of recruiting, but we have to bat better than .050 with those guys. Just getting mentioned by some top players certainly excites the board, but the proof is in the pudding...and our pudding is tapioca at this point (btw, my mom loved tapioca-but most people think it is gross). Between his reliance on the portal and ridiculous results on the field, I'm not sure what he has to sell at this point.

These are program issues and to me, losing yesterday and not making a bowl, is a Program Loss.

Feel free to rip me apart now, or if we somehow upset Penn State. I will be thrilled if we upset them and make a bowl, but it will not change 99% of what I posted above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News