ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Today's update on the football coach search

DavidHarns

All-Van Pelt
Staff
Oct 29, 2013
I had the opportunity to talk with several people/sources today and I have some updates for you all.

First off, I spoke with Jim Comparoni about our apparent conflicting reports regarding if Haller will use a search firm or not. After our discussion, he agreed with me that Haller will use a search firm to assist with vetting candidates. I believe that Haller will also use the firm to make confidential contact with the candidates during the season. Comp's reporting was that the search firm wouldn't be making a decision (I agree with that).

I also have some news to share regarding the community letter that Haller released yesterday - specifically, this sentence:

"However, privacy is important to attract top-caliber candidates, most of whom are involved in their own current seasons."

Many people think that the word "most" was included as an indicator that Urban Meyer is under consideration when - in actually - that phrase was added due to a different reason. Someone had made the joke that Steve Mariucci should be hired and that made the communications team realize that - since the candidates had not yet been determined - there was a chance that all the candidates (after they were determined) might not be current coaches. So the wording "most of whom" was added to account for that option.

To be clear, there is no secret code in that Haller sentence meant to indicate that Urban Meyer is under consideration. In fact, a source close to the athletic department told me today that "there is no way that Meyer is being considered."

Then the source revised his thoughts: "In fact, I would add a few expletives in between 'no' and 'way' in that sentence. There is no (expletive expletive) way that Meyer is being considered."

So I'll double down on my high confidence level that Meyer to MSU is not a thing.

Sources also indicated to me that the SD4L news came out last Friday night via email to about 30 of the 35 players who had an SD4L NIL deal (it's unclear if the other 5 were notified by mistake initially or not). There was a team meeting at the hotel and it was addressed. As the players were leaving the meeting room, "it was like a bomb was dropped" - players were walking out with their heads down. A younger player said to someone in attendance, "it doesn't affect me but all the older guys just got their NIL taken away."

These were NOT just players who were threatening to leave or threatening to enter the transfer portal. These were guys who were counting on that money to pay their bills. Players were in shock. Most (if not all) of the contracts had three months left on them (expire 12/31/23). Players felt betrayed. Some of the deals were in the six figure range. Most were significantly less. A few players threatened not to play unless it was fixed. That's where This is Sparta stepped in.

Also, sources were frustrated that SD4L announced on social media that less than 100 people signed up as SD4L subscribers. I said to my source - "coaches will use that against MSU in recruiting, yes" - my source said "every single one will. It looks like we don't have support."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News