ADVERTISEMENT

3 keys to the game that won't get much attention

Spartan1996

All-Bubba Smith
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2017
Everyone is going to be focused on the usual things. "Will MSU be able to finally run the ball?" "Will UM's DL dominate our OL?" "Who will return back from injury for MSU?" "Will we force Shea into turnovers?"

Beyond those, here are the 3 things that I think will determine the ball game:

1. Michigan has 3 TEs among their top 6 receivers. Gentry, to me, scares me more than DPJ or Collins. He's a legit 6'7, even listed at 6'8. McKeon and Eubanks will be targets as well. Michigan often schemes sets with 2-3 TEs.

I think we need to see more of Matt Morrissey this game. Taller, more physical DB. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE Thompson, Reschke, Bouyer-Randle, or Andrew Dowell matched up against their TEs too often. Hope to see 5 DBs most of the game.

2. We need to see our Special Teams play their best game of the year. We will probably punt the ball 6-8 times. Hunt has been serviceable but his hang time has not been great and DPJ is a scary return man. Would rather Hunt hit 38-yarders that call for fair catches than hit 45 yarders with his usual hang time. We will need to win the field possession game. 1-2 good kickoff returns. 1-2 surprising kickoff returns. With both defenses being stout, Coughlin will probably be called upon to kick 2-3 FGs. He's been money all year long but his 40-50 yard range worries me.

3. The home crowd. I went to 5 home games last year (BGSU, WMU, ND, Iowa, PSU). Our crowd needs to ratchet things up. Force a couple of penalties. Rattle Patterson down on the student section end of the field. In a game that could be settled by the margin of 1 score, I hope our crowd is worth at least +4 points on Saturday.

A week ago, I was frustrated. Put out some feelers for my tickets. Within a few hours, a couple of 'Maggers helped me screw my head back on. Will be there screaming my lungs out in Section 25, rain or shine, down 20 or up 20.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News