ADVERTISEMENT

A potentially hilarious (and EXTREMELY unlikely) Bowl Scenario

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
I have been looking through the potential NY6 bowl scenarios, and I found one that is pretty funny, but also exceeding unlikely (like 1 in 10,000 unlikely). Anyway, here it is:

What happens if the underdog wins in the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC Title games?

So, Pitt beats Clemson, NW beats OSU, Texas beats Oklahoma, and Georgia beats Alabama.

If this case, I think the committee would through up their collective hands and take the following four teams in the playoffs:

Orange Bowl: #1 Notre Dame vs. #4 Clemson
Cotton Bowl: #2 Georgia vs. #4 Alabama

The Rose Bowl must take the Pac 12 and Big Ten champs, if available, while the Sugar Bowl has to take the Big 12 and SEC champs, if available. That would mean:

Rose Bowl: Northwestern vs. Washington / Utah
Sugar Bowl: Texas vs. Florida (or maybe LSU)

That leaves just the Peach and Fiesta Bowls, so four slots. However, two of those slots must be filled by the Group of Five Champ (likely UCF) and the official ACC Champ, Pitt. However, the following three teams are still on the board: Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Michigan. Only two of those teams can make the NY6.

In the poll coming out today, it Michigan would be the lowest ranked team of those three. Now, let's say that both Oklahoma and Ohio State lose close games on the last play of the game, and Michigan is still lower ranked after the championship games. This would result in the final bowl paring to be:

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Ohio State
Peach Bowl: UFC vs. Pitt

So, where does Michigan go? They could go to the Citrus Bowl, but they were the last Big Ten team to play there. But, they also were in the Outback Bowl last year. It is even possible that the Citrus Bowl might even close a deal with Penn State before the games are played. In this case you could see:

Citrus Bowl: Penn State
Outback Bowl: MSU
Holiday Bowl: Michigan

If Utah beats Washington in the Pac 12 Title game, Michigan might even draw Washington (a pre-season Top 5 team) which is a game that they most certainly could lose.

Again, this is an EXTREMELY unlikely scenario, but it did make my chuckle a bit to think about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News