ADVERTISEMENT

A Thought from Friday Night Lights - MSU related

swimreaper

All-Steve Smith
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2021
Last night I made my typical sojourn to my daughter’s high school football game. She doesn’t play, but at a catholic school in the DMV everyone goes.

Since her school is a dominant force in high school athletics, they draw more than many small colleges as many teams have multiple D1 prospects. None other than Darien Harris played in this conference.

Where it relates to MSU, is the other team had several players who had D1 bodies but their coaching was so poor they got blown out and the players quit on their coaches who literally got in a fist fight with each other on the sidelines.

The point is they had superior athletes but were blown out by much smaller players who were not as good as athletes. However they did have superior coaches who outperformed the chaos on the other side of the field.

If you told me I would get two 6’4” guys who were 260, and noticeably rocked up, and two 6 foot fat guys who were 250, and a QB, who was 6’2” and 200 in high school, with size and speed all over the field I would be pretty happy even in this wickedly competitive league. They did not score a single point. Their assistant coaches were throwing punches at each other, to a point where school administrators walked out in embarrassment.

How does this relate to MSU , the players don’t matter if you have bad coaches. Teams with inferior players can still blow you out. Coaching matter. I believe in Mel, but he has to get better coordinators to win in the Big Ten. Superior talent doesn’t mean better teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News