ADVERTISEMENT

Absolute fun!

Jim 73

Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2001
Jim,
I was the left tackle on the 1978 team. What people forget is Darryl Rogers brought the forward pass to the Big Ten. Some like to think is was Mike White many years later. We had an outstanding offensive line. It was rare that Eddie was hit. I used to tease him sometimes after games I would look at my uniform and I was covered in dirt, blood etc. I would look at Eddie and say to him that he did not need to wash his uniform because he never touched the ground. There was not a team in the Big Ten that knew how to rush the passer so we could pass block for Gib, Byrd and Beamer all day long. Easily half of our plays were audibles. Eddie would say "check with me on two" in the huddle. So we had no idea what he was going to call until we heard it at the line of scrimmage. It was also fun listening to players trying to get Eddie's ear. Walking to the huddle you would hear Gibson, Byrd and Bramner tell Eddie how open they were I would constantly tell Eddie to run 8 base which was the running play behind me. Sometimes Eddie would listen and st the line he would say "green 58 green 58." I would get excited because it play was right behind me. Our offensive was so effective we would tell the defense that all they needed to do was break serve. The game was then over because we scored almost every time we touched the ball. There were times when the freshman offensive tackles would come to me and say if we could get a thirty point lead by the half. Then the back ups would play the third quarter then they could play in the fourth quarter.
I have been practicing orthodontics in Tecumseh and Ann Arbor for a little over 25 years. I have some of my old helmets and jerseys in the office. The kids love them. Thank you for allowing me to reminisce for a few minutes
Keep Smiling,
Dr. Hinesly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News