ADVERTISEMENT

Adding ASU RB info to Pre-Snap Read

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I had to head out the door and get to the airport when I posted the Pre-Snap Read.

I forgot to mention anything about ASU's intriguing running back.

Here's my info on Eno Benjamin:

RB ENO BENJAMIN (5-10, 201, Soph, Wylie, Texas.)

* Was a four-star recruit ranked No. 9 in Texas in 2017 and No. 75 in the nation.

* Solid, serviceable running back. I didn’t realize he was a national Top 100 recruit until I looked up his Rivals.com bio. He’s a solid college back but he didn’t strike me as a four-star, elite type of game-breaker. Maybe I underestimate him.

* He gained a lot of yards midway through the game as UTSA began to wilt, and UTSA begin springing leaks with gap errors against ASU’s inside zone run schemes.

* UTSA often left the box thin in order to try to chase the passing game around, which opened things up for Benjamin. I could be wrong but I don’t expect him to have a big day against Michigan State unless Michigan State moves its safeties to try to chase the pass game, like they did last year at OSU - but Benjamin isn’t in the class of OSU’s RBs.

* Rushed for 131 yards on 16 carries last week in his first college start.

* Gain of 18 on outside zone in 1q. UTSA with a bad gap assignment error by ILB.

+ 34-yard run on an inside zone bouncing it to the left similar to Connor Heyward’s first TD run last week vs poor outside gap containment by UTSA, which subbed in an entire new d-line after that play.

* 20-yard gain in the 3Q on an inside zone due to an elementary UTSA gap error.

* Was the No. 3 back last year, had only 23 career carries prior to last weekend.

+ 8-yard TD reception last week on a little out route to the flat, while the secondary was focused on ASU’s 3 by 1 formation of WRs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News