ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni vs. "Wal*Mart" Fans:

Sep 12, 2008
Like many of you, I have had several discussions over the years why being an alumni matters, or doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of college sports. In a public arena, I most often dismiss the argument, and let the "Wal*Marter" (and that could be an Oregon fan, who never set foot on campus, just as much as the more commonly known Michigan fan) get their social victory that attending a school is not a requisite for their fandom; however, as a Packaging graduate from MSU in December 2007 and loyal Spartan, I strongly believe otherwise. Below is my rationale and I am curious on your perspectives as well:

• Walk the Talk: Just some examples of how I express my loyalty to Michigan State: Michigan State polos are a must on gamedays (also now the day after landing a recruit), Sparty is my Driver Head Cover, I refuse to use blue pens in the workplace, etc., etc.. No doubt many of you are similar. Recently, on vacation with the future in-laws, my fiancée’s Mother asked me, “Is there anything you own that isn’t Michigan State?!?”…nope…not really.

• Commitment to the Marriage: I jokingly refer to my four years on campus as my “engagement to Sparty”. As a graduate, my latitude to consider “divorcing” Michigan State athletics is like marriage in the 1800’s…life-long and without question...heck, I became a fan during the John L. Smith era…talk about a time when my Michigan State wasn’t the prettiest girl at prom. I truly believe that attending your University creates an invisible commitment that a “Wal*Marter” truly can’t comprehend or appreciate its gravity.

• Shared Experience: We all spent time in a dorm, whether it be Wells, Emmons, or Holmes, crammed for finals in the Library, perhaps considered taking a drunken ride down the Red Cedar, and even met our husbands or wives in East Lansing. During tailgates or bar-hopping before hoops, I can immediately sense that commonality from fellow Spartans in green and white, and start a conversation, without the need of a translator: “What year did you graduate?”, “Where did you live on campus?”, “What was the best game you attended live?”. Much like in historical events or tragedies, where groups undergoing a “common event” creates a lifetime connection, the fact that we all, as alumni, more or less had the same, four-year life experience conjures a bond unknown to “Wal*Marter”, who’s college faith is derived from ESPN.

Overall, people can choose to be fans of whatever and whomever they want, regardless of experience, family, or program success; however, credit should be given to those who “earn the jersey”, to borrow an expression from our Spartan Dawgs, IMHO…curious on your collective take…

Reactions: Dale Gregory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News