ADVERTISEMENT

An inside story for my fellow Bunkerites.....

jake5811

All-Steve Smith
Gold Member
Feb 16, 2009
Back in January, 2011 after the 2010 regular season had concluded and our son's red shirt season had come to a conclusion my wife and I headed down to Orlando for the Capital One Bowl game against Alabama. All of the kids that were red-shirted that season were allowed to dress for this away game for their first time. As all you guys know red shirts do not attend away games by and large. And, you all know what happened on that fateful day in Orlando. We got our proverbial asses handed to us by a highly charged Crimson Tide team. They were the best team in America that year and simply underachieved.
What struck us all during that contest was not necessarily the size of the Alabama kids (although they were huge) but it was the team speed, and the incredible depth that appeared to go 3 deep. We all witnessed the difference between a very good college football team and a national championship caliber team.
When we headed over to the team hotel to pick up our kids for dinner they were nowhere to be found. We were finally able to get a hold of one of the coaches and we were told they had gone down to work out. Work out??? The season was over was it not??? Well, when they finally emerged we asked them why? Their response was to paraphrase, "We will never let that happen to us". What did they mean? "We gave up. We could see it in their eyes. Fear. Capitulation. It will not happen to us." This was the core of the Class of 2010 and a resolve we could see in their eyes.
And guys, you all know how things unfolded from there starting with the 2011 and culminating that season with a triple OT win over a national caliber team in the Georgia Bulldogs. Our defense held them to 52 yards rushing in 3 OT's. From there things just got better, and watching the premonitions made by our young guys back in Orlando unfold has not been forgotten but us parents.
Today, the Spartans are a national championship PROGRAM with the BEST COACHING STAFF IN AMERICA starting with Mark Dantonio.
I am sure I am not alone in saying I get goose bumps whenever I see a new highly ranked recruit opt for Michigan State because they now see the amazing foundation that is the Spartan program. This is positively euphoric and it is great being part of SPARTAN NATION.
God bless, and have a kick ass weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News