ADVERTISEMENT

FILM ROOM: Bear Beater

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I mentioned in the Pre-Snap Read that Michigan ran some Bear front against Wisconsin. I wasn't sure they would do it against Michigan State, but they did.

This was MSU's eventual answer:

Michigan State hadn't run this look all year. But Run Game Coordinator Chris Kapilovic put it in this week to go against the Bear front.

The Bear front means the three down linemen are going head-up against the guard, center and guard.

96 of Michigan is Jess Speight. I said in the pre-snap that he is a guy that doesn't play much and got dominated when he briefly played at Nebraska.

Speight tries to two-gap MSU right guard Kevin Jarvis on this play. Jarvis just toys him to the outside, gets a seal.

Speight is supposed to move Jarvis a half yard back when he two-gaps Jarvis. Instead Jarvis moves him a yard the other way and turns him.

Then MSU right tackle AJ Arcuri folds and leads into the A-gap and double-teams the guy that MSU center Matt Allen is engaging. Arcuri gets a knock on him and it opens up a revolving door for Kenneth Walker III's 23-yard touchdown which proved to provide the winning points.

Remarkable.

(And if you're going to play Bear, you're only going to have on safety deep because the other safety has to come down to host an off-tackle gap left open on the edge due to cramming three d-linemen into the inteirior)

Bear Beater

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News