ADVERTISEMENT

BIG's media rights deal should be complete ‘in the next few weeks’

atlanta12

All-Bubba Smith
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2001
Atlanta GA
FOX will be primary, ESPN /ABC will be secondary, a streaming service partner is all but guaranteed (Amazon has been the leader, but Apple TV has made a late push). NBC is still alive.
The BIG had discussed announcing the media rights deals this week during Media Day's, but with the addition of USC / UCLA - and continued discussions with streaming services (and a potential other broadcast network -NBC), it will be announced just before the start of the season.
Big Win for the BIG !!

From multiple reports :

"The BIG should complete its media-rights deals for 2023 and beyond “in the next few weeks,” Fox Sports president Mark Silverman told The Athletic on Wednesday.

“I would be surprised if it goes to Labor Day,” said Silverman, who led BTN from its 2006 debut before taking over Fox Sports in 2018.

Silverman’s comments echo Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren, who told reporters Tuesday he expects deals completed “sooner than later.”

Fox owns 61 percent equity in BTN, which increased from 51 percent during the pandemic. It will remain the Big Ten’s primary rightsholder in the future. In an unusual setup, Silverman and Fox Sports executive vice president Larry Jones join Warren and Big Ten senior associate commissioner Kerry Kenny in all Big Ten negotiations with multiple networks and streaming services. Among the companies vying for a piece of the Big Ten include CBS, NBC, ABC/ESPN and Amazon.

“I think we have to be really smart with how we look at these deals,” Silverman said. “Television is in transition. Most people still get TV through cable and broadcast TV. There’s a growing number that get it through streaming.”

The streaming option initially had some Big Ten administrators queasy because some fans do not have smart televisions or use streaming apps. Although many leagues have options with some networks that appear on ESPN+ or another streaming network, none have a singular contract with a streaming-only service.

“We’ve got to be smart about how we do this,” Silverman said. “I think Kevin and the conference need to really be the vocal proponent as to what the comfort level is with these different platforms. I think we’ll kind of come up with what we believe is the best answer from a platform standpoint, a financial standpoint, and a fan standpoint. You got to take all these things into consideration.”

Estimates start at $1 billion annually for the Big Ten’s media rights, with that number expected to increase significantly with the league adding USC and UCLA on Aug. 2, 2024. That expansion has contributed to a slowing down of media rights negotiations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News