ADVERTISEMENT

Dantonio on d-linemen: King, Jones, Panasiuk

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
“When you look at our defensive line, I think it's one of the strengths of our recruiting class as well. Certainly Naquan Jones, is a big-body guy, highly recruited guy in the inside from Chicago. Brad Salem, Ron Burton were involved in that recruiting process.

“And you know, there's an absence of big guys, and we've made a living on great big players playing here and playing very, very effectively on defense. So he's a guy that will have an opportunity to play early in his career. Everywhere he's gone, I think he's been successful in that area. He was a basketball player as well early on, and we're looking forward to him coming from Evanston, Illinois. Big-body guy.

“Josh King, a wrestler. I watched him wrestle a week and a half ago. 6' 6 frame. That's a legitimate 6' 6. Some would say would be bigger. 255 pounds, won the state championship in wrestling as a junior at the 220-pound level. Athlete. Very good athlete. Big body, really can run. Very athletic.

“We like wrestlers here. They can get into you and take you down, and they understand hard work, hard work and sacrifice.

“Another four-star guy that was recruited by everybody across the nation. Again, Ron Burton recruited Josh to Michigan State, and just will be an outstanding player and person. So we've got two big-time players in that capacity.

“Mufi Hunt, defensive end who when we recruited him last year, 215 pounds, went on a mission, came off his mission, so he enrolled here in January as you guys know. Now weighs 265. So a little update on Mufi as we move forward. Very, very flexible athlete.

“Mike Panasiuk, another four-star guy, was the strongest man at The Opening. Brad Salem recruited Mike. Very, very active player; dominant defensive lineman, quick-body guy. I'm not sure how much he repped. But (he was) the strongest man at The Opening, which would probably make you the strongest person in high school football.

“Very athletic, has snap, played a little bit of running back as well. They used him at running back or as a blocker in the backfield a little bit throughout the season. Mike will be another guy that will be active immediately, I think.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News