ADVERTISEMENT

MEN'S BASKETBALL Dr. G&W Analysis: The Four Factors at Iowa

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
So... that sucked. I was lividly angry about the end of today's game at Iowa City and after screaming into a pillow and enjoying a 16 oz. double IPA, I would now downgrade my emotional state to simply "pissed."

OK, so it is not quite that bad, but I am not happy. But, as always, looking at number is my coping mechanism, so let's consult the four factors for today's game at Iowa:

20230225 MSU Iowa 4F.jpg

A few things clearly stand out. First, the free throw numbers don't really matter. It looks like MSU got to the line a lot (and they did) but at least 12 of the 36 free throws were intentional fouls in the final 90 seconds. If we take out those attempts, the free throw line was pretty much a push.

Obviously, both teams shot the ball insanely well. Iowa's had an effective shooting percentage of 66.7% (which is terrible defense) but Michigan State shot an astounding 69.4% including 11-of-15 (73%) from three.

So based on these stats alone, how the heck did MSU lose? Well, check out the rebound and turnover numbers. MSU lost the turnover battle 15-to-9 and the offensive rebounding battle 15-to-4. That means that Iowa had a crazy +17 advantage in scoring opportunities. Iowa took 21 more shots from the field. That simply CANNOT happen.

For the record, MSU is still technically alive for a double-bye in the Big Ten tournament... but the odds in my quick simulation are 0.3%... so that's not great either.

The trick now is to get back off of the mat. The game at Nebraska and short rest will be no pushover. MSU needs to get the win and start to rebuild momentum. They cannot allow one loss to turn into two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News