ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Dr. G&W's Week Three Recap (Against All Odds): Fun House

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
It is always an interesting process for me to come up with the theme for each piece that I write. As I note in the open, I was inspired this week by Charles Brantley's 100-yard pick six. After watching that play in the press box, I turned to my man @Brendanmoore101 and said, "That was fun." Later during the post game press conference, Coach Smith described the play is almost exactly the same terms. Sometime on Sunday morning, it hit me. Yes! Spartan football IS fun again.

It is also fun for me to run these numbers each week. I find that the cold, unbiased numbers can often tell us things that we either don't yet realize or don't realize at all. One really interesting part of this week's analysis is what the numbers are saying out the Wolverines.

It is not pretty for our friends in Maize and Blue.

I predict that they are not going to be happy with my analysis, as it shows that MSU (for now) is likely to win more games than Michigan and is more likely to simply quality for a bowl game. My projected point spread for the game in Ann Arbor is down to just 5.5 points. Now this analysis may turn out to be nonsense in 3-4 weeks. Afterall, my computer told me that Purdue was going to beat Notre Dame and Oregon State would upset Oregon (oops). But the fact is that my algorithm also nailed the opening point spread for the MSU/BC game and the Michigan/USC game to within a point tell me that the experts in Vegas has Michigan and MSU evaluated very similarly to where I have them. Those folks tend to know what they are doing.

Anyway, please enjoy this week's edition of Against All Odds. We decided to make this one free this week, so please feel free to share this one with some of your friend if they are the type to enjoy this kind of a mathematical deep dive into sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.