ADVERTISEMENT

Few quick thoughts.....I could write a novel, but....

Matt Dorsey

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
To me this game is on the staff....

1) The secondary and LB play in the current scheme is substandard. I know you lost X and Snow, but right now the scheme is not right for the talent. When your safety has 18 tackles, something is wrong! You have been out-schemed. To me Hazelton is a guy who believes his system can be successful if guys execute. The problem is it is pretty obvious they do not have the ability to do so with the current personnel. His lack of adjustment is an issue. I am not a huge fan of his system in the first place, but figured it could work with right personnel. 3 years in and the D has not been a strength of the team. I am sorry , but this is Michigan State and we hang our hat on D even when our teams are just average. As a friend told me today, this bend don't break stuff is not the Spartan way.

2) When you have Barker, Hunt and Carr you need to be exploring that advantage. Those 3 should have double-digit catches (as a trio) every week. I would be running some inside shuffle passes as well. Heck maybe a run play or two as trickery. I saw Tennessee today run an option play where Hooker then did inside shuffle to the H-Back. Nice little 9-yard gain. JJ to me is a question as well. I had some questions last year in a few games. I found myself yelling at TV saying why are you doing that? More often than not it worked out due to Reed/Nailor/Walker and a veteran OL. I just do not see MSU scheming guys open much. It is more reliant on winning individual match-ups. How about scheming guys open and when they adjust then exploit some match-ups. To me it is not rocket science. BTW, sometimes the packages do not make sense either. Like the safety last week, why is your scatback in on the 1 yard line? Why is Broussard not involved more in pass game if he is effective in open space?

If I am Maryland, I am chomping at the bit. MSU has not shown the ability to make any significant adjustment be it game to game let alone in-game defensively or offensively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News