ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts on Western Game

Matt Dorsey

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
1) 26-174:

That is the stat line for Berger/Broussard. I think we are going to have some games were Berger leads MSU in rushing and some where Broussard does. I also expect both of them to be more involved in pass offense as season goes on. If only one of them had that stat line we would be ecstatic. MSU does not need to replace Walker, they need to replace his numbers in the aggregate. I think that is a distinct possibility.

2) Back 7:

Potentially losing Snow and Henderson will be a blow. The good news is MSU has the resources to replace Snow. Obviously Halladay will play more and it looks like it was a good thing that BVS returned. I think it would be great for him to have a meaningful season. We will see who else steps in, but the cupboard is not bare at that spot. Henderson would be more concerning, but hopefully that is temporary and MSU can weather his absence and build some quality depth for when he does return.

3) Blast from past:

I loved how easy Barker made that touchdown look. I always thought MSU was most effective when they ran 2 TE sets with the rotation of on Celek/Sims and Linthicum. With Barker/Hunt and Carr I think MSU has the potential to do something similar. It makes the defense that much more concerned when they are not tipped off as far as run be pass based on TE formations.

4) Believe the hype:

We have been talking about Coleman and Bernard a lot on here and it was nice to see them come out and showcase talent. I think Coleman has the potential to be a Devin Thomas type of WR next year when he is the #1 guy. Having a 3rd WR as talented as Coleman is an OSU type of problem. I am still very bullish on Tre Mosley and what he can do. I have always thought he has potential to have a Jason Avant type of senior year, though it might be tough with so much talent at the TE and 1 and 3 WR spots. Great get by MSU getting Bernard to join the class. Fwiw, MSU WR core in 2023 should be good. However, with Reed and Mosley leaving I could see them being in a great position to sell PT to a portal guy. Adding a proven portal player along with the class of 2022 guys would make MSU talented and deep….again an OSU type of problem:)

5) Concern:

I was not only hoping, but expecting more production from interior DL. I only saw Slade/Barrow/Hansen and AVS at the DT spots……Against an opponent like WMU I would not expect only 4 DT to play. Wondering about Hunt, Harmon and Mallory. Now maybe it is an injury situation, but for MSU to have the type of season we hope, they need 2 of AVS/Hunt/Harmon/Mallory to be like Knox and Scarpinato were back in the day. I think it is hard to ask a try fresh to be a. Raif Evans type. I love that AVS looks to be legit, but I would rather see him behind Harmon or a motivated Hunt. Fwiw, Hunt flashed some good stuff in PSU game last fall. The talent is there. If Barrow/Slade/Hansen stay healthy all year this may not be an issue, but that is a BIG ask!

Go Green!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News