ADVERTISEMENT

FILM ROOM: Finding Windmon, coordinated pass rush

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I've been going over some key plays to try to find where was Jacoby Windmon as a pass rusher.

A few times, Penix was just so quick and decisive, Windmon and other pass rushers didn't have a chance to get home.

Other times, Windmon was getting extra attention from a TE or even the center on a snap and fan out to help.

The 19-yard back shoulder pass which beat Haladay was especially interesting. It was third-and-six.

Windmon went with a spin move vs the LT. This was the first time in the game he attempted a spin move. And he beat the LT with the move.

Meanwhile, DT Derrick Harmon dropped into coverage the LB level with VanSumeren. It looked like those two were spying on the QB. Pennix doesn't pull it down and run a whole lot, but he did a couple of times on third down situations the previous week.

Also, Washington had success earlier in the game with a late leak pass to the TE on a third down situation (and would have success with it later in the game, I think, on fourth down.)

Anyway, there was no threat of a TE leak on this play because UW shifted into an empty with five wides (with the RB serving as a wide out). But when Michigan State called this defense, Michigan State couldn't have known that they would go with five wides with not TE attached to the line, hence no threat of a late TE leak.

Anyway, here's the kicker, when the left guard who was assigned to Harmon at the snap saw Harmon drop into coverage, that left guard immediately turned to help the left tackle with Windmon.

Windmon had the guy beat. But dropping Harmon into coverage freed up the LG to help vs Windmon.

Windmon beat the LT, but the LG helped hold him up.

This was one of the few plays when Penix patted the ball for a beat or two. The ball didn't come out fast. The pass rush had time to get home. And it would have gotten home in the person of Windmon, if Michigan State hadn't assigned Harmon to drop into coverage.

I don't blame Michigan State for dropping Harmon into coverage. Like I said, the threat of the QB draw, OR a QB scramble OR a TE leak was obviously on MSU's mind.

But this was one of those instances when the total coordination of the pass rush (or lack there of with a three-man rush) didn't do Windmon any favors.

By the way, this might have been the only time all game that Michigan State rushed three. I'm still going through the tape. I'll let you know if I find another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News